Rookie Question...Unmovable header and nav bar?

Monty2000

Hi All...I am a big time rookie but I am trying...Using Dream CS3, could you point me in the right direction for making unmovable portions on my page? IE...WHen you scroll down the page, the title (Header?) and Navigation buttons stay in a fixed position...and the rest of the page scrolls...Is this way too advanced for a rookie? Thx, Ross:eek:

CompleteWeb

one way that you could do this that might be easiest for you to try which will give you an idea of frames is split the page into 2 frames (parts).. the top frame would contain the header and nav and the bottom frame would contain the content of the site etc.. Frames are not used so much any more but if you are in the early stages of web designing it wont make much of a difference for you.. it will help you understand the different ways of constructing a page

Have fun!!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
frames really aren't considered good practice. while i agree that it is good to know how they work, i would refrain from using them on an actual web site.

instead, i suggest that you use some basic css to accomplish this.

first you will need to create a div containing your header...
Code:
<div id="header">
   <!-- Header code here -->
</div>
now in your css put in...
Code:
#header {
   position: fixed;
   top: 0px;
   left; 0px;
   width; 955px;
}
of course you would need to change the left and top to the amount of pixels needed to position the layer where you want it. also, adjust the width to whatever you need it to be.

good luck. :)

Last edited: