Review my site?

michaelgee123

www.aviowebdevelopment.com

Hey guys I just designed this website in the last week as well as the logo. It's pretty simple but I wanted to keep it clean. It's also possibly too dark but is still readable. Any critiques you can give me on the site is appreciated. I can take the criticism. Also, I created my logo so you can critique that too! Thanks guys!

leroy30

Hi Michael,

It looks ok. I really like the type and colour of the font within the content on black background however the drop-down items in your menu are difficult to read. It may be my high resolution but they are small and the font type is difficult to read when it's really small.

I think your logo needs a bit of revision. I'm not digging the bevel effect or the colour. Perhaps keep the symbol (which I like!) but make it a more vibrant or fierce colour and make it a solid colour or very subtle gradient. I would forget about bevels they look tacky and cheap on a logo.

Add some padding to the cells in your footer and increase the line height of your footer links so they aren't so bunched together.

Pad your "submit speedy quote button" so that it's heaps bigger and people see it at a glance, rather than looking for it. Or even better make a custom style for your buttons.

I couldn't find your portfolio page. Maybe it's there but I couldn't find it in 5 seconds so it's not helping!

Also ditch the animated drop down menu and use css:hover to achieve a drop down menu that isn't animated. The animation messes up sometimes - it goes up and down ten times in a row before I can view the sub-items.

Ditch the white box and black border on your logo and make a stunning banner! Grey is just,... uh,... grey?

Also maybe make the menu more prominent. It is almost hiding up there. Maybe add some spacing in between the menu and the header to achieve this. For example the same spacing as between the header and the banner.

Add some icons to your website packages!

Well there's a few suggestions to consider for now :)
Far better than the first website for my web design business. Though that was a few years ago and more acceptable I suppose.

Take care.
Le-roy

jumpingspider

I like how your color can define your site! Thus, it doesn't look 'dry'. I would also like to add about your logo, as I believe you can add something (color perhaps) that will dignify your logo well!

michaelgee123

Thank you both for the suggestions! I have been thinking about adding some color to the logo and also that grey open space in the header didn't look right to me. I'll look into everything though I appreciate it.

Fireproofgfx

I am not really digging the bg and body bg both being black. Leroy is correct the drop down is hard to read. Also I spent 5 minutes just trying to find your portfolio. I saw your prices and thought "man for $249.00 what are people getting because that seems really cheap," so that lead me to want to see your portfolio, but I couldn't find it. I don't mind the logo, although it is simplistic.

d a v e

ditto the logo - and it should be a gif or 8-bit png

i would use the display font onyl on the headings - it's too chunky for the menu - especially the list items

never a fan f fully justified text, but i think you get away with it here.

text and columns need a bit more padding

hr or separating line needs to line up with left and right margins

i find the banners a bit shouty and not very classy e.g the seo one looks too tarot or something :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not going to lie. I dont really like it.

the first thing that caught my eye was the header, a big blank grey box.
the footer looks incredibly dated
the header font is too hard to read
it doesnt work on the nav
i dont like the dropdowns
nor the copy font, nor the grey, nor the black background.

it feels really flat and untextured. it has lots of space where it doesnt need it, and not enough space where it does.
and justified text is no good.

I do like the logo though, and it just needs a bit of spit and polish, the header lets it down though with that horrible grey box.

its just too grey!
a new colour scheme, a lighter one, and some more thought on the typography and a bit of a tidy of the elements and you could really make this a nice site.

rosiebrown0

As a web designer I found many things that need to be concentrated..first its color is not soothing to eyes and fonts are not clearly visible..it should be more bright..its header need to be more attractive and sharp..dropdown is simple...your logo design is simple but good.

reverseengineer

Ummm, seriously

For a website designed to selling websites, you could do a little better than making it look like a wordpress template. Jazz it up if you have the design capabilities. And many people loathe Flash.

Diversus

Nice but maybe make your portfolio more prominent and easy to find.

You could introduce some colour or a band of white/grey to breakup the black background.

I like the logo, and the idea of adding some colour to it.

abd_webdesign

www.aviowebdevelopment.com

Hey guys I just designed this website in the last week as well as the logo. It's pretty simple but I wanted to keep it clean. It's also possibly too dark but is still readable. Any critiques you can give me on the site is appreciated. I can take the criticism. Also, I created my logo so you can critique that too! Thanks guys!

I like your logo! I also like the white on black text. Actually from what I have read, that is supposed to be more readable than the white on black that people THINK is more readable.

I think you could improve by making the site more 2.0 in style because that is what you are advertising that you create and I don't see that in this look. Maybe that's just me but I would think making much more space between the elements on the page would help and softer transitions so everything doesn't look so blocky would be good.

noahdavis

I like the design of your site, but I would definitely focus on changing the colour and making it more pleasant on the eyes.

Some of the issues with the font may be that your actualy doubble bolding it. If the fontface your using is already bold, set the heading tags to read font-weight:normal, will help a ton.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are not completely satisfied with your first draft we will deliver a 100% refund. Also, we will make unlimited revisions until your expectations are 100% exceeded

Hi Michael,
I am unhappy with my first draft, so as set out in your terms and conditions, I would like my 100% refund. However I'd still like you to make me up maybe 6 different options for me to choose from. If I dont like any of them, It wouldnt be too much of a problem for you to go back and try again perhaps? I may even like one enough to waive my refund.

Regards,
Potential Client

--------------

Dear Potential Client,
I would be happy to give you your 100% refund back, AND redo your design for you. After all that badly constructed sentence is on my homepage so I can't escape it now. Keep in mind, you are the fourth person this week to want this, I now have no money and am living off half a packet of noodles a day, and my stomach hurts and my inspiration is lacking.

Regards,
Michael

We offer up to three revisions of your design, if you are not completely satisfied, we will deliver a 100% refund.

perhaps is a little better. BUT offering a refund as a selling proposition is shooting yourself in the foot. instead try being positive about it.

Our results have shown that the majority of our clients walk away 100% satisfied with their design first time, however we offer up to three revisions if you are not completely happy.

Last edited: