Review my first website?

chrishirst

Staff member
Are you using Microsoft Frontpage 3 by any chance? Or maybe some other WYSWIG tool circa 1997?

Man! Before you "design" anything else, get into THIS century at least.

HTML:
<p><font size="-5">Copyright 2013</font></p>
Really????

And with what passes for a totally broken XHTML DTD.

Please, please, please tell us that no money changed hands during the creation of this website.

chrishirst

Staff member
Though as an afterthought, it might be Dreamweaver 3.0 or 4.0.

It's the use of "Untitled Document" in the title that suggests it might be.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Font size -5 is almost as good as those that add h7,h8 & h9 because for some odd reason 6 levels of headings is not enough so they think they can add a few more, why I say almost as good is those that add the extra headers usually try to justify it somehow.

I won't dig into your site too much safe to say though it needs a lot of work.

d a v e

why not jsut use a free wordpress theme? even using the default theme and putting in your own header will look a hell of a lot better than what you have now

i hope you don't feel we're not being understanding about your first site - but if you carry on down this road you'll end up with so mcuh to fix later :)

here's a few quick pointers
1. don't eve use comic sans (unless you're making speech in a comic)

2. use real text not images

3. dont squash your photos so they go out of proportion

4. don't underline text that isn't a link

5. resize your images in an imaghe editor so they're the right size - they'll look a lot better and be smaller filesize

6. offer your flyers as printable pdfs?? do they need to be printed??

7, georgia is quite a nice font that's on most computers

8. i get scroll bars at 1280 x 1024 - small but noticeable

9. you can usually install wordpress through your control panel pretty easily if you want to

10. try and be consistent in spacing things, photos sizes (use a small. medium and large for example)

d a v e

chris said" Please, please, please tell us that no money changed hands during the creation of this website. " pretty sure not cos it's got his (Devin's) name as the contact email

AsheSkyler

I'll give you kudos for not having a table-only layout on your first site.

All pointers I would have give have already been said by everybody else. 'Cept one. "<p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>" isn't necessary if you set the margin and/or padding in the right places.

psp

Follow Dave

I 2nd the advice from "d a v e".- WORDPRESS

Your host's CPanel probably has an automatic installer...