Rant

StephanieCordray

I posted this on another forum and the answers I got were pretty lame... I asked at that forum because there are a lot of them there who blog... for writers they sure don't read:

I'm Ditching Word Press

Good thing there isn't that much there. I'm already fed up with it. Every little update or plugin I have to go reset files and there are a gazillion of them ... that's too much work for a simple personal site.

Any suggestions out there?

The answers I got were it's my installation/plugins... That when you install plugins that it messes up files... Didn't I say that in my initial post? ... I do know how to reset files when they need to be... Other answers were telling me how to reset the files... The problem with word press I'm finding is that it will start with one error message after a plugin installation or update, fix that, get another error, and so on until you've spent an hour or two or three resetting a whole lot of files.

I said that's too much work for a personal site.

Where in that first part did I say I didn't know that it has to be done or HOW to do it?

I don't want to spend hours resetting files every time I add, change, or update the thing. It's a personal site, not a business site, and I don't have the kind of time to fool around with the site.

If I did, I would just use straight HTML and Frontpage to update when I have something new to say and probably be done sooner than 1-3 hours.

So I asked basically for something easier to maintain, more stable. Nobody had anything to say on that because they were busy telling me stuff I already knew...

Fact to remember, writers don't read.

End rant.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I didnt know wordpress 2.0 was out of beta. Not sure of any good alternatives. I will add my comments though on my experiences with upgrading the software.

StephanieCordray

yup, it's out of beta. I updated my version 4 or 5 days ago. you won't see any difference or problems unless you log out... which is what I did... clearing my cookies... gotta do that once in awhile... couldn't log back in until i fixed the files.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well I just updated to wordpress 2.0 at my blog at webzine.com and the installation went without any problem that I am so far aware of. Tried logging out and logging back in, and everything appeared to work. Also made a post without any trouble.
Was expecting to have to revert to the standard 2.0 theme, but the 1.5 theme appears to be working alright with wp2.0.

StephanieCordray

hmmm... now it's irritating me why mine always overwrites files with the same two friggin lines that make me crazy having to fix all the time. Maybe because I update and install through the control panel instead of ftp?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well I followed all of the instructions to the exact letter. I used ftp instead of any control panel, even downloaded FileZilla which they recommended and I quite like. A big improvement over my previous ftp software which had too many limitations.

StephanieCordray

This last time was probably my fault, then. I didn't know there was an update until I was in the control panel looking for something else, saw the update available, made my backup, and went for it because I had a little time to kill... but still...

If I had a lot of time to muck around with it, it probably wouldn't bother me. I really should put more time in learning php better. Actually it was updated about 3 days before I found out there was an error... I had cleared my cookies so had to re-login, lol. Good thing I was home alone at the time... I think I would have shocked James with my unladylike response.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I recently had a problem installing a script, which is unlike me. Tried again, failed again, tried similar scripts, again they failed, which was kind of annoying because I was determined to build the site before the end of the day. Eventually asked my host to transfer my sites to a different server and the install worked first time after the transfer.

StephanieCordray

That's how I've been feeling about Word Press... everybody bragged so much about it and how robust it is but, for me, it seems like everytime I touch it, it breaks. I may have to try that trick of yours.

SiteExpress

Feel free to add my blog as well. www.emtstories.com

Steph, I use WP 2, and so far have not noticed problems, but I dont do anything special with plugins.

I installed b2evolution for a client, and he seems to like it quite well. It looked quite a bit more involved than WP, but gave you a lot more control over things.

Last edited:

suz

I've added yours too Siteexpress. The URL doesn't work though when I click on the bottom link that sais "Entries (RSS)" I had to remove the "feed" bit. Is that supposed to be like that?

SiteExpress

Hmm, I am not sure. Like I said before, I dont use all the "Fancy" stuff too much. I will see what I can find out about it.