Quotes Website Review

chrishirst

Staff member
I don't think the documents are "busy" enough!

Could you pack a bit more on just to make sure that visitors are completely confused?

leroy30

My first thought it; This website was built for advertising, not quotes. This puts me off significantly.

Secondly, as chrishirst said, the design is very crowded. You could do well with this website to keep it very simple! Make the home page like google; A random quote right in the middle and only a few non-obtrusive links to more content.

If you do that then you'll have a winner.

Good luck!

AsheSkyler

The quotes aren't being given a proper spotlight with them all put together on a page, I think. Separate it out a bit, like a slideshow per category where you view one quote at a time.

The "quotes by caterogry" is already on its own page, it'd be safe to remove that section from the front page.

The New Quotes page is a might jumbled because of the "echo effect" with the extra-large description coming before the image. I would give it a traditional gallery style - image on top, normal-sized font below with the usual rate/share/etc. buttons.

There's not really an "about" page. Maybe dedicate your homepage to that with one area that will display a random quote each new pageload?

Edge

I tried to start reading some of the quotes which are rotating in the header but they rotate too fast. Not too fast to read, but too fast to savour. Actually just had a second look, some of them switch before I finish them!

Also light grey text on a white background is hard to read, especially when text size is too small, there are a variety of font sizes which I don't like - why not use one readable font size?

From a design point of view I'd try to visually create sections - at the moment it's like a noticeboard.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really struggle with ad placement when a client requests it for their site.
generally I try to avoid it as much as possible.
this design has it smack bang in the header!

flooding a design with advertisements before its had a chance to develop a user base isn't going to work. I mean now all I want to do is create an e-commerce site with shopify...

JaxDesigner

Is it possible to talk to your client and assert the fact that you just might know better than him on this one? It really is WAY to busy. Plus if you could make everything just a bit bigger (i.e. the fonts), it might help readability.

Encourage them to take out at least one of the ads.

Good luck with this one.

chrishirst

Staff member
It should be at the end of the first post in the thread;

but I can't edit someone else's post :D