Publishing Microsoft Word Document to Website? Help!

n_distel

Hi there,

I have tried to publish a microsoft word document to my website, however, many of my customers say it comes up "in strange symbols" (assume that means it is unreadable for some reason).

Check it out here: http://www.newteacherskit.com/The_New_Teachers_Kit.doc

Can you give me any advice on how to make sure the word document can be read by any Microsoft Word program? I have uploaded it in 'compatability mode' so I figured that would make it 'compatable' - but clearly not! I created the document on Word 2007.

I realise uploading it in PDF might be easier, but it must be delivered in Word so it can be edited in Word...

Any ideas very welcomed...!
Thanks
Nadia :)

ahk2chan

First I can open it up in my Word 2007. I don't know about compatability mode, but maybe what you should try is to save the file as Word 97-2003 document so that more versions of Word can open it...

adx

you should try is to save the file as Word 97-2003 document so that more versions of Word can open it...

I don't know if the poster changed this since, but on my computer it shows up as Word 97-2003 compatible and besides making your minor spelling errors visible it works perfectly. Has the problem been resolved?

n_distel

Hi - RE: the 'spelling errors' - I am not sure if you are referring to the difference between australian/british and american English... I am an Aussie, so we don't use 'z' much, we prefer 's'... but if there are non-colonialiSed spelling errors please point them out! :p

RE: the word document - yes, it is my understanding that Word 97-2003 and 'compatability mode' are one and the same thing... so I am not sure why customers are complaining they can't see correctly... :confused: ... any other ideas?

ahk2chan

I have actually checked the header and it looks fine ("application/msword"). The only thing I can think of is that since your file is about 2.7MB, will that be possible that some slow connection actually terminate / timeout before the who file is downloaded?

n_distel

I have actually checked the header and it looks fine ("application/msword"). The only thing I can think of is that since your file is about 2.7MB, will that be possible that some slow connection actually terminate / timeout before the who file is downloaded?

Ah, ok... many of them have said it is coming out 'scrambled' or in 'strange symbols' so that to me does not sound like a time out issue...

But point taken - any hints on how i can reduce the size then, short of compressing the file and then having more dramas with people who can't uncompress it? Is there an easy way to resize the pics without individually doing each one that anyone knows of?

Thanks so much for your help - greatly appreciated :)

adx

Hi - RE: the 'spelling errors' - I am not sure if you are referring to the difference between australian/british and american English... I am an Aussie, so we don't use 'z' much, we prefer 's'... but if there are non-colonialiSed spelling errors please point them out! :p
Ah, I see! I'm semi American so I love my Z's by default ;)

But to the point, does the document have to be a word document? I mean if you're the only one who needs to edit the file, does it really matter if it's a .pdf file? Though from what I've seen myself, and heard on this board, your word document works fine. I guess it's an executive decision!

n_distel

Yeah sadly it does have to be a word doc because people who use it want to be able to modify it to fit their class's names, etc... and unless they have the full acrobat, I guess they cant download in pdf and then edit... shame! :)

adx

Yeah sadly it does have to be a word doc because people who use it want to be able to modify it to fit their class's names, etc... and unless they have the full acrobat, I guess they cant download in pdf and then edit... shame! :)
Tell them to go medieval on it and get a pen! Best editing tool available.. :p

adx

haha - ok will try that, but if my sales drop, I'll be after you!! :)
Ha, I didn't realize you were selling anything! I guess I'll keep my passports and credit cards by the front door from now on. ;) Let us know if things go to the dogs after this :)