Pre-Review(?) of my upcoming website

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hoping you all could help me by shredding my design for my upcoming website. Mind you, it's an early design. There is no copy, the links don't go anywhere, and the footer is almost empty. Still, I'd like some extra eyes on the design to this point.

So, without further ado, the link to the design's temporary location: http://rroedesigns.pcriot.com/ron/roedesign/index.html

leroy30

I like it, it's a nice design, but the background is very distracting and could over-empower the content (once you have some).

Like the menu. Perhaps you could make the logo light up from behind when you hover over it and make it a homepage link?

notarypublic

I like the color choices - It has a very calming, polished feel to it. I'll second the notion that the background is maybe a bit too bold for a background, maybe some lighter colors?

The other issue I saw is that your navigation bar is enlarged text - in my browser it looks very jagged compared to the smoothness of the rest of the site. I'm sure you're trying to steer away from using images for your nav bar, but I might recommend it; smoother text would keep up with the harmony of the rest of the design.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the input!
I'll probably fade the background out a little. As far as the font, I can't really see where it's jagged, but I'll see if I can find a better one.

springmedia

Clean design, but I agree with the others, background is distracting, just lower the opacity and you'll be fine.

notarypublic

I can't explain much better what I said earlier, it might only be something on my machine. Minor enough that I wouldn't worry about it, either way. :)

Does the 'g' on Roe Design at the bottom cut off in your browser? It looks like the footer isn't quite tall enough for the content, in mine.

pos2011

i think you should give a padding to the hover menu. its too tight fitting with the text link menu. Else than that i think it will look great once you've added the contents

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the 'g' on Roe Design at the bottom cut off in your browser? It looks like the footer isn't quite tall enough for the content, in mine.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? I've tried increasing the height of the div, and also tried increasing the line-height to no avail.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The font was causing it, though I'm not sure why. I changed it to Arial, and the 'g' wasn't cut off. Weird...

notarypublic

Yep, great design.

Although I would agree your website BG is a little distracting, I think it works.

Other then the design, your content is awful. You need a cooperate feel to the site and your content is fare to casual.

Other than that, not bad
It took me a few times to read what you wrote before I realized you meant to say "corporate" and "far too." Considering the content of your post, that made me giggle a bit to myself. You trollin', bro?

Ron, I like the look of the site. I know it's live, but there's maybe one more suggestion I could make - your type could stand to have a bit more personality. I recently read an article that showed examples of sites using both the introduction style like you have, and also ones that use large-size fonts. Worth a read, perhaps?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I'll look into that article. I struggled for a while with the content, that's why it took so long to go live.

omglookitsagoat

I'm not so sure your different fonts are working well together. It kind of bothers me to see sans serif, script, and serif fonts all together on one page. stick to just one or two different types of fonts. You can use more than one or two fonts, but make sure they actually go well together.