position of a web page when viewed in a browser

Mattybrown

I have a 17 inch monitor. When I open IE browser, I notice that websites are postioned in various locations on the screen:

1. To the left, with a large space on the right
2. Centrally positioned with spaces either side
3. Stretching across the whole screen

Could you tell me the designers reasoning behind these three postions - and which is best?

Thank you.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. several sites are designed to be compatible with low resolutions in order to avoid any vertical scrolling.

2. same reasoning, just a different style. it's a matter of personal preference whether the designers chooses this method or aligns the site to the left side of the screen.

3. personally, i find this method to be hardest to pull off being that it often causes clutter or vertical scroll at lower resolutions. again, it's a matter of personal preference. personally, i don't like this method.

Artoonie

I don't like 1 or 2, because if you have a huge monitor, they still have a fixed width, and there's a lot of wasted space. (80% or something is fine)
3 is to get the most content with the least scroll/wasted space

edit: woops, didnt realize the bump there

grayrabbit

One bit of advice,, DROP IE.. lol,, but seriously,, just build your site form a template. the are already coded perfectly

Last edited by a moderator:

kiko_friendly

All three are good, but the third option is most professional - it looks great in all browsers, just make your banner 780px or less in width, and have a code where it's centered, left aligned, or right aligned the banner, and a table width of 100% - visitors probably wont notice that it will complement all resolutions, but they will notice if it doesn't. Email me at [email protected] for information on that if you like.