Portfolio Review

kasual503

Hey all, I am a new member to the forums! I just started building my portfolio and it needs a lot of work. I basically built the pieces on photoshop and put them together using css...

I'm looking for some brutal honesty, because I'm moving to NYC and need this to be top f'ing notch! Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

http://robinpgeorge.com

Thanks!

Robin

notarypublic

Brutal, it is:

* 3d text went the way of word art in Microsoft Word 2003 to 2007. No one does it any more, for a reason.

* Drop the horizontal gradient, it makes the text difficult to read and doesn't look all that professional.

* Can't see your name in the footer (include an email link as well)

* On your graphics page use small thumbnail images to link to full size ones instead of just shrinking down large-size images to small ones.

* Your fine art is all urban themed, why aren't you using this for your website? Shades of dark grey with medium grey text are hard to read, and pretty boring to be honest. Your art has personality, so should your website (you're selling yourself, after all).

*No one says "welcome to my site" anymore. You would be much better off saying "Hello, my name is __________ and this is what I do." Or some engaging phrase like that.

*Looking at your code, why are you using <br /> tags inside a single paragraph? Use multiple paragraphs instead. For that matter, I see that your navigation bar is named "left-nav" when it's actually a horizontal, top nav bar. If someone else looked at your code and saw that, they might assume that you just copied parts of the layout from somewhere else and just changed the content to your own.

* Using &nbsp; for spacing content is almost as bad as using double <br /> tags for paragraphs. Use CSS to handle this in your nav bar, instead.

* From an SEO standpoint, I wouldn't expect your site to do very well. None of the content you've written separates you from your competition, in terms of what someone would search for on Google to find a web designer.

* Favicon.

You're moving to a place where the competition will be very fierce for designers. If you want to succeed, you'll have to spend a lot more time thinking about the design of your own site.

Your portfolio is grim, to be honest. Where are examples of the real estate sites you've been working on? I checked the first link, and this is what I saw: Red text on black backgrounds? Default link colors? Images/javascript for navigation buttons? You've got your work cut out for you..

kasual503

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely take some of this to my design and revamp the site.

Weird that 3d text would be a new feature with CS5 Extended if no one uses it anymore, but duly noted.

I didn't think of using and urban theme with the site, that's a pretty good idea. I was going more for a simple look, thinking that employers might stray from a graffiti-based portfolio. I'll have to play around with some of that and see what I can do.

As far as the coding goes, I've only been doing web design for about a year now. I'm still in school and have a lot to learn, which is why I decided to get some outside feedback from the community. I'm not really up to par on SEO yet, and I know the site won't do really well on Google or anything. I'm not really worried about that yet, because I'm a designer, not a developer...

The real estate sites I can't really use because we're working off of templates that our senior designers have built, so I can't put someone else's design on my portfolio.

The left-nav thing. I had originally wanted to put my nav links on the left side of the page, but never changed it. Thanks for reminding me!