Portfolio Design - First Impressions?

steve_uk

Hey, hope everyone's good. Can I get some honest first impressions on the design of my personal portfolio?

Portfolio

Eventually this will be hooked up to a Coldfusion back-end and some subtle Flash elements will be added, plus anything else it takes to impress potential employers these days!

I was going for a light, modern look, but the focus must be on my work.

How does the design look to everybody out there?

Thanks!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
My main criticism is that it looks much too light, or feint. Has a faded look to it, I think the site should be richer and not so light.
It looks alright to have some faded image elements with dark text on top, but too much doesnt look good.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree with ian 100%. that's the first thing i thought when i opened the link as well. it's ok and commen practise to use a lot of light and pastel colors these days, but if the entire site is that way, it just makes it look to bright and becomes hard on the eyes. there are certain parts you want to make stand out, like titles or the logo, navigational links and of course the content itself.

steve_uk

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it! I'm thinking that I should have added the content first though. The idea is to have a light foreground and then contrasting, dark, easy-to-read text, with images that stand out. I think my work will stand out well. It's a work-in-progress: there's months of work ahead of me!

What are other people's experiences with portfolios, and also presentations in interviews? Eventually I'll have a pdf and a printed portfolio available too