Pointing a Godaddy domain at GMail

philnolan3d

I really love my current web host as they keep good up time and are really cheap (I pay $20/yr), unfortunately the email has never been the greatest and over the past few weeks the server has been getting flooded with spam. I don't see that spam, but it causes huge delays and other problems with the email service. It's gotten to the point where the host has even recommended using GMail instead.

I already have a GMail account but I almost never touch it. I was wondering if there was a way I could point my Godaddy domain name at my GMail account. So that emails addressed to Phil (at) philnolan3d (dot) com would go to GMail instead of my current web host. Any ideas? A web search makes me believe it is possible but the results I found were vague and Godaddy's site is difficult to navigate and find anything.

philnolan3d

Thanks I got it taken care of. Google Apps didn't cost me anything, maybe that fee is only for some extra special service. It was a real pain though, some of Google's help pages contradicted each other, other info was vague and I had to guess. I'm still having some weird issues getting Thunderbird to read GMail correctly.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
yes, i think it was some paid feature, maybe SSL or something like that, that made me opt for the paid option.

Marcus Cyganiak

I believe the fee is for extra web space on your Gmail account. Don't quote me on that though because I haven't done any research on it.

My free Gmails reads, "You are currently using 141 MB (1%) of your 7378 MB."

brie

Yeah, the link you provided is to the pay-version of Google Apps.

There is a free version (that I really love).

For the free version, I've got ~7 GB, like normal gMail. 25 GB sounds like the pay-version.

left4dead

You can easily integrate Google apps and create thousands of emails with your domain name. Its quite easy and free :D

Marcus Cyganiak

I have my company emails linked onto my Gmail, so I just do everything on there. I don't need to use any of the annoying webmails out there.