Please review my site :)

Fools Gold

Hi all

Well, after looking at other people's sites that they've submitted they all make mine look really naff lol... I need to do a lot of learning to get to that standard lol

Here goes:- http://www.angelfire.com/indie/foolsgold68/

I know the main page doesn't like Firefox at the moment, working on that :)

Any help, advice, criticisim would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

StephanieCordray

while i hate to be this blunt and usually try to find something good to comment upon, too, or not comment at all... your own observation about your site is correct... I would suggest study and learn. you already have ideas that what you've done is not satisfactory to you and i'm afraid anything I say might be more than you know or want to do. One good place to start is webmonkey.com... and here, :)

on the other hand, since it's a personal site, it's really not held to the same strictures as professional sites.

StephanieCordray

To be honest, I didn't see a lot of content. If it's there, it's hidden beneath all the flashy yelling at me graphics, if that's a clue. However, I did also say that being a personal site it is not held up to the same scrutiny of a business or other type professional site.

This is my blog site. A lot of people might not like it so well either while it's totally different from your site. I took a 3d landscape I made and used opacity layers over it. Some people like it, some don't.

If you're not satisfied with your site as is, sit down and think about what you'd like to achieve and what direction you'd like to take it. It's easier to answer specific questions about how to do something than try to explain in detail what is wrong with a site, especially when the person you are trying to tell it to is an admitted newbie. Others might like your site just fine the way it is. My very first site is still up on fortune city somewhere... I cringe when I look at it in the context of what I do now, yet, at the time, it got rave reviews.

Fools Gold

OK, I've made some changes to the home page. Hopefully it's not so in ya face, it's more basic. What do you think of it now?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
your site reminds me very much of the mid to late 90's. back then most sites looked very much like yours.

at this point i really wouldn't worry about it much. as you go on and learn more, your style in design will eventually change very drastically. just give it time.

as for a review... well, their really only are two things i really dislike about the site.

1. the splash page (enter page). it serves no purpose in my eyes and the flashy graphics take me back in time.
2. the background that you use on your site. it makes it kind of hard to read as the black in the background image interferes with the black text. why not use a table and give the content areas a solid background color?

Fools Gold

your site reminds me very much of the mid to late 90's. back then most sites looked very much like yours.

at this point i really wouldn't worry about it much. as you go on and learn more, your style in design will eventually change very drastically. just give it time.

as for a review... well, their really only are two things i really dislike about the site.

1. the splash page (enter page). it serves no purpose in my eyes and the flashy graphics take me back in time.
2. the background that you use on your site. it makes it kind of hard to read as the black in the background image interferes with the black text. why not use a table and give the content areas a solid background color?

Which background image are you talking about? Which page(s)?

Artoonie

The scrolling marquee's are a bit annoying to me.
There are two empty boxes in the navigation table.
The two images on either side of the marquee's are redundant, and should probably have a transparent background to help blend in with the page background.
The banner at the top seems out of place, it doesn't flow with the page.

:) hope that helps

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's because the link was blank... next time try copy/paste.

had to delete it as spam though. he posted the same thing in every thread he posted in.

Last edited:

moonfish

Hi Paul,

I'm not too keen on the front page...flashing graphics etc make me think of the internet when modem dialup speeds were increasing and multimedia became possible for the first time. I think it's tempting to throw in fairground graphics...but they do make sites ugly and can drive people away.

I think you need to plan your site out on paper, decide where it is going and what you want to say. I see you plan to start a web design business in the future.

I would suggest looking at the area you are interested on the web and see how your competitors put their sites together, check out the best and find out why they are "the best" and then see if you can offer the user something more. Look into good design principles and get some cheap hosting and domain name.

I could offer you a very good deal on hosting here in the UK, but my new site won't be live for another month. PM me if you're interested.

Hope I've been of help.

All the best Rob

Last edited: