Please review my site

omelette

Please could you have a look at my site, I am pretty new to web design and have mainly been working on the functionality so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Swapaholic

It is still under construction so I am aware there may be some errors but I'd mainly just like help with the design.

I haven't figured out what to put on the home page yet so I know that doesn't look great at the moment.

Thanks

StephanieCordray

I think the yellow background is too busy. Also the images and text used on the search items page are very pixelated and have a yellowish background that doesn't blend in very well.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I dont like the yellow, it looks too bright, also I think you need some pictures of movies and games on the main page.

omelette

I think the yellow background is too busy. Also the images and text used on the search items page are very pixelated and have a yellowish background that doesn't blend in very well.

I agree with the images on the search page, i'm redoing them at the moment.

I originally had a plain yellow background but it looked a bit boring. Would it be better a different colour or just a paler yellow?

Thanks for your comments

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree with ian that you need to add some images to the content area. shift the users focus to what is important.

i also agree with stephanie, i'd stay away from the yellow. yellow draws to much attention and in your case, i don't feel it flows to well with the overall color scheme. i would try a i light gray or just something less "in your face".

omelette

Thanks nman14

Everyone's comments are much appreciated, i've taken all the advice on board and made a few changes.

Artoonie

it still looks pretty basic. I'd suggest getting a more professional banner. also, the bottom copyright bar is static on the page and blocks some content. perhaps making it a regular table instead of the div float or whatever you're using?
(firefox, 1400x900)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think it looks much better now and i like the fact that you brought some color into the content area. however, i am having the same problem as artoonie. looks a bit distorted and the footer is static floating over your content in the middle of the page. i am using firefox at 1680x1050 btw.

you are on the right track though and with a little work the site will look great. :)

omelette

Thanks.

I'm still not too sure I like my banner but not getting any inspiration there at the moment!

I think i've sorted out the problem with Firefox but if I'm wrong i'd appreciate someone letting me know.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
the firefox problems are almost gone... just one minor one to fix at the bottum of the page... see here...

Attachments

• omlette2.jpg
    omlette2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 15

omelette

hmm, i kind of liked the gap in the border there, even though it wasn't originally intentional!

i know the site looks a bit amateur at the moment but it's come a long way since i started and i'm hoping i can keep improving it slowly!

Artoonie

you can't read the last few letters of 'search' in Advanced Search because of the gradient background, try extending the blue.
And nice work! looks better.
something seems to be missing on the left though. Perhaps colors? maybe a simple background. I'm not quite sure, it just doesn't look complete.