## Please check out this Website ##

olav the hairy

## First attempts at a CSS website ##

I've just written a website in CSS. It's called the http://www.realbabyguide.co.uk

It started life as an affiliate site but after our daughter was born, we thought we'd turn it into a site of our experiences. Hope you like babies! I'd be interested in your comments.

I'm the designer and I've tested it in IE5.0, IE5.5, IE7, and Firefox 1.5.0.9 but I am sure that there are others that I should test it on. I'm particularly intetested in how it is viewed on an Apple Mac.

The design stretches and shrinks as you resize your browser window (like Amazon). It does nothing groundbreaking but there's some php code behind the scenes to log which banners are veing clicked on. The results are stored in a MySql database.

CSS v Tables!

Beginning to wish I wrote it using tables rather that the more politically correct CSS! The truth is that CSS an excellent concept. It does away with the bloated code which tables require. You can even attach a seperate stylesheet which contains the CSS code, so you cut down on code in your .html file. There are some great CSS templates here.

In reality though, it's almost impossible to create a pixel perfect multi browser website. Believe me I tried. Then I tried again! What works on one browser, often does not work on another. It's a real headache. You're unlikely to have these problems if you use tables for layout. There are even variations between bifferent versions of Internet Explorer due to the IE5x PC mis-implementation of the box model. Thankfully though there are various hacks available; the most useful by Tantek Celik.

If I was starting again, I'd write it using tables anyday and use the CSS to style the tables. How many pro web designers use pure CSS? I can't beleive they'd make any money if they had to iron out all the cross browser issues! Maybe I'm being too cynical.

Last edited:

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i agree on the css vs tables bit. css is a great tool, but as long as not all browsers comply with W3C standards, it's a real pain. i still use tables and just apply some css style sheets where needed.

i really like the site. it looks good in firefox and i like the playful style of the layout. goes well with the subject matter. :)

PureDezigner

I think it's a great site for your theme, and very well executed, easy to navigate, and nice colors. I would make sure you run it through the validation test and fix the errors.