Planning a website /backend stuff

Domo230

Hi guys, im a 2nd year computer science student. I just fininshed a course on web design and for my final project I created a static website. I would like to make a dynamic version of my idea but have been having some difficulty finding out how to create some of the things needed.

The idea is a food comparison site where ideally I would like users to be able to create a template of a food that contains the information about the food (name, region its from etc.. similar to how a wiki page is created) and compare the food with another food to see which foods people prefer.

This is a very complex project, involving languages and ideas I have little/no experience with. My first goal is to figure out how the relationships of the database will work.

Ideally the site would let a user search for an entry and have that entry (eg pizza) take up half the page. THh user may then search for a specific entry that that will fill the right hand side of the page for comparison purposes(or they can select a random choice). The user will vote on which they prefer

I cant think of an effective way to store the results of this vote and how I would find it.

I have 6 months html and css experience and have dabbled in phpmyadmin, php and javascript. (So far I do not really like php)

Any help would be appreciated either in solving this dillema or in helping me to come up with a proper plan for the site before I begin the work. (dont even get me started on how I am going to do the user login)

Thanks guys

Last edited:

DHDdirect

So what would the goal of this project be or the purpose? I'm finding it a bit hard to see how your concept would entice people to use your website.

You'll obviously need a database system to store the submissions, conduct queries, and votes etc.

As far as PHP goes, I find it the easiest to work with and understand. It also goes hand in hand with MySQL. Which again, is a very easy database system to work with.

Your other alternative is ASP and MSSQL which I found to be very difficult to grasp.

You may be able to get away with using a CMS such as Joomla or Wordpress to accomplish this sort of thing.

Sounds like you have a big project on your hands. Good luck.

Last edited:

Domo230

The goal would be to see how much of a website I can create. I will probably have to go with a simpler system where I create the items to be voted which avoids the problem of creating user log in and addition to the database.

Users visiting the site isnt a major concern, it's just something I would like to create as a hobby.