• Perl

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • PHP

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

ian

Administrator
Staff member
For programming web based applications, which is the best programming language to learn?
I am leaning towards Perl or PHP. I dont like ASP/ASP.NET for whilst they may have advantages, my general impression is that the majority of webmasters use unix/linux web hosting and not windows.

Chroder

ASP and ASP.NET are good for enterprise. Applications that need scaleability. But I still like PHP :p

AainaA

I'm contemplating learning PHP. If webmeisters the world over say its darn simple, I must be a fool not to at least contemplate on learning it. Meanwhile, Perl has always been my favourite.

later,

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
Perl is my favourite, but PHP is a good choice too. I like Python too...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
to be honest, i really can't place a vote on this poll. there is no real answer to your question. it all depends on what you want and need. php and asp for instance are very simular in what they can and can't do. php has many functions built in that would need to be hand written by the developer in asp, same thing vise versa. it's all a matter of personal prefference really. despite my dislike, bitching and moaning about windows, i first got started with visual basic and from there went to asp and it stuck. so i have been using windows based hosts ever since.

neilturner24

I'd go for PHP

With the new release of PHP 5.0 I'd opt for that. Perl is good but not for enterprise scale sites. ASP/.NET are great but the license costs/Development costs are very high.

PHP 5 gives you a lot more scope. Beginners can still use the simple side of PHP - but advanced users can utilise things like classes, multiple inheritance and stuff.

---------------------------------
www.neilturnerfreelance.com

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
neilturner24 said:
ASP/.NET are great but the license costs/Development costs are very high.
wrong, the only costs involved are those of the OS, being that both ASP and ASP.NET run best on IIS which is part of the windows server OS since NT 4.0.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
[tab] said:
Whoa... I just had a flashback to the NT Server 4.0 Option Pack.
lol... that's what i got started on in my journey of trying to become a network engineer. hmmm... that rememinds me, i wanted to check if they have any classes here on base that would get me any closer to that goal. :shrug:

lionel_hutz12

ian said:
For programming web based applications, which is the best programming language to learn?
I am leaning towards Perl or PHP. I dont like ASP/ASP.NET for whilst they may have advantages, my general impression is that the majority of webmasters use unix/linux web hosting and not windows.
Have you tried using Asp.net with mod_mono on a linux/apache server? I have been playing with this lately, and it is surprisingly easy to use so far. I have not tried anything on a huge scale but for the application I am developing it has worked without any coding changes. Using this method may allow you to take advantage of the benefits of Asp.Net and a Linux OS.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
lionel_hutz12 said:
Have you tried using Asp.net with mod_mono on a linux/apache server? I have been playing with this lately, and it is surprisingly easy to use so far. I have not tried anything on a huge scale but for the application I am developing it has worked without any coding changes. Using this method may allow you to take advantage of the benefits of Asp.Net and a Linux OS.
now that is some very interesting and usefull info for once. i might have to look into that.

thrive

I agree with zkiller. I use asp,.net,cfm,php,jsp. To quote Deniro in Ronin "It's a toolbox". Don't use .net if you're building a 10 page site when scripting languages are more than enough. Consider what you need to use to effectively do the job. If you're going to have to eventually separate your site into application layers and presentation layers then something OO like java or asp.net is the best way to go.

thrive

It's simple. If you're going to bang out tiny sites one by one you can use php. If you're planning to start something big, go to .net or java.

RickPlmr

zkiller said:
wrong, the only costs involved are those of the OS, being that both ASP and ASP.NET run best on IIS which is part of the windows server OS since NT 4.0.

It seems to usually cost more to host your site with an ISP who supports ASP. But more importantly, there are _SO_ many free open source php-based packages for blogs, forums, even an entire online educational training framework (Moodle). My ISP - Lunarpages - has it set up so that I can pick from about 20 or more packages like this... I click a link, and the database and framework is all set up for me automatically.

PHP completely rocks in my opinion for small to medium websites - and that's coming from an ASP and J2EE developer of 12 years (I also teach a J2EE night class at Portland Community College, but I sure wish they had a PHP track to teach :) )

thrive

I agree with you in this point. The reason I'm with .net is my sites get over 20 million hits a year. Also I like the idea of building my own packages so it's not dependant on what the ISP has installed, and not dependant on the version of the code.

Arkette

The .net framework is not tied to a particular operating system as some of you seem to think. For more information on this, look up "The mono project".