Perfect font for a construction site?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by LouTheDesigner, Feb 8, 2010.

to remove all ads.
  1. LouTheDesigner

LouTheDesigner New Member

Does anyone know a good font for a very classy construction site? The work that this company does is rather high-end, (image large spiral staircases in hotels). I've never been good at choosing a font.

Please help!

-Lou

2. PixelPusher

PixelPusher Super Moderator Staff Member

I have seen quite a few construction company's use a serif font. And some that use both.

For example:

KB Homes
    Meritage Homes
    Fulton Homes

A couple clean-looking font suggestions: Adobe Jenson, Adobe Carlson, Garamond Pro, Myriad Pro, Hypathia Pro, Gill Sans.

3. bcrump

bcrump New Member

Going with the most common fonts for the text and leaving the fancy one's for the logo the way to go. Times, serifs are a good for the main body, for the logo/banner the choice depends on you telling us more about your business.

4. joshuthomas

joshuthomas New Member

i cannot define a font for a construction website.
    try using standard arial font or checkout dafonts dot com

cheers
    josh

5. northpark

northpark New Member

6. scept1c

scept1c New Member

i like the standart arial font

7. PixelPusher

Yeah I guess I was half asleep when I read your post Lou :D Anyway, like others have said I would stick to a commonly used font for the website. Bare in mind Times can be a little tough to read, Georgia would be a better choice (serif).

My recommendations were for a logo.

8. LouTheDesigner

LouTheDesigner New Member

I love this one. I think my client is going to like his company name written in it. You can check out how it looks here:

http://tinyurl.com/y8ce7b4

I'm using Baskerville Old Face for the rest of the text so far. Just don't mock the site yet it's still in it's very very early stages. ;)

Thanks,

-Lou

9. northpark

northpark New Member

10. PixelPusher

Nice looking font. Good recommendation northpark. I love Smashing magazine they have great articles, excellent resources for designers. I have not heard of telegrafico before, but it works with that logo, helps give the impression of strength.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  11. scept1c

scept1c New Member

thanks for posting new fonts, some of them can be useful for my site,
    Lou, the link you provided seems not to work for me.

12. jemountfort

jemountfort New Member

Go onto dafont.com theres thousands of fonts on there, and then put the font you like in here Cufon Fonts and it will turn it into a javascript file, so you can call it where ever you want.

Really Really handy

13. AcmeWeb

AcmeWeb New Member

construction font

I was putting together a flyer for a contractor and couldn't find a font that was right, not really sure WHAT I was looking for. So, I typed in "construction font" in Google and found this thread.

Telegrafico is PERFECT!

Interesting, finding a 2-year old thread that is SO helpful. But, none of the links work anymore. Northparkdesign.com doesn't exist. I wanted to see http://tinyurl.com/y8ce7b4 and that goes nowhere, too.

Who can I thank around here???

Well... thank you Web Design Forum!

14. AcmeWeb

AcmeWeb New Member

AND it's gonna look great on the site I'm about to start making.

[​IMG]

Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  15. daviedR

daviedR New Member

16. ronaldroe

ronaldroe Super Moderator Staff Member

Rather than simply getting font suggestions, you might find it more useful in the long run to learn more about type in general.

Check out this ebook (PDF). It's a really good primer by FontShop for type. They also have a page full of free ebooks here that you can learn a lot from.