Percentage of Returning Visitors

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your opinion, what would be a good percentage of your sites visitors being returning v new?

DHDdirect

I would have to say it depends on what type of site you are looking at.

If it's news, blog, or any type of site that has constantly changing information then I would like to see the highest possible number, but maybe a good percentage would be around 85% returning.

As far as e-commerce, well you'd probably expect to see a lower number just based on the fact that the peoples purpose would be to spend money. Again that'd probably depend on what type of product you are selling and how wide the range of products are.

And as far as general information that doesn't change much or a website hosting provider for instance, I'd expect really low numbers.

Percentages are funny though because you need to look at the number of visitors in total that the percentage is based on. You can have a high percentage with few visitors such as 75% revisit rate with only 4 visitors in total (3 returning) which to me says nothing.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know that my post was a bit ambiguous

it is for an art gallery, content changes on general about once every 3-4 weeks.

artworks are for sale but are in a higher price bracket, so not sure how successful it will be, most sales to date have been under $1000 artworks

traffic averages are around 2500-3000 per week.

return rate is sitting at about 28%, but this does seem to be slowly increasing.

the product range is approx 1300 artworks, from over 100 artists, so quite varied. the price ranges are also extremely variable with lower prices artworks around $150 all the way up to the premium catalogue which can be anywhere in excess of $200k.

DHDdirect

I would be pleased with that percentage. Hopefully the reasoning for returning visitors is for actual purchases. Although I'm sure that isn't always the case.

I would think you'd naturally see that number increase as your new visitor number increases, providing that your site has something good to offer in which case I believe yours does.

Assuming that you are using Google Analytics, Have you setup any triggers for Goals?

justrobin

In your opinion, what would be a good percentage of your sites visitors being returning v new?

I read a successful article about a person earning $5000 per week and considering 5% conversion a good one. I know it is very low but it is the man's idea.