Payed Web Design - Need help setting up

kiko_friendly

I am interested in setting up my website for making websites and graphics for people.
I was wondering, how much I should charge (an approximate)?
I am also wondering what I would need to put onto my site for people to look at?
I.E. Templates of websites, websites I've made for others, examples of graphics design etc.
Below I have included some links of mine, to my work...
www.the-rise.co.uk
www.the-rise.co.uk/mandy.html
http://photobucket.com/albums/y14/kiko_friendly/ (Anything on here that has got a cartoon on it is a manipulation of some kind)
http://photobucket.com/albums/b358/the__rise/ (some of my better work)

tfgames

You should take a look at other web design sites and see how much they charge and work something out from there. Obviously youll need to put your portfolio of work on the site.

StephanieCordray

tfgames, very few web designers list prices for web design. There's a reason for that but it doesn't help her set up. I'm not a professional web designer so I don't know what to tell you, kiko. I do know the prices can vary widely from one extreme to another. I know the average pay for an in-company designer is around $14/hour here in the states if that helps.

tfgames

Hmm yes maybe your right. I think if you are going to do the design on your own you should just think how long the project will take you and then give yourself an hourly wage as stephanie said. 99% of webdesign companys offer hosting aswell so maybe you should think of purchasing a reseller hosting account for this.
Isnt there alot of legal stuff you have to go through to start your own webdesign site anyway?

StephanieCordray

If you are going to do web design for a living, you need to have a contract with your clients... Contracts protect both you and the client. If a client doesn't pay what is owed for work completed you will have the contract to be able to go to court and get your money. The same goes for the client. Should you not finish the work he paid you for nothing and should also have legal recourse. There are different requirements state to state and country to country on operating businesses so that's something else you need to check into as well.

StephanieCordray

kiko_friendly said:
A portfolio would need to contain what exactly?

Work you've done. If you have particulars about how it evolved into what the sites have become... some call them case studies... that would be good, too. If you've done work in different areas, such as site design, logos, eCommerce, and so on... it would be good to separate and categorize them.

kiko_friendly

Okay, well I've not designed a site for anyone yet, would it be an idea to make some websites just to show people as examples of my work?

I also have HUNDREDS of images on the internet on Photobucket and www.the-rise.co.uk. Would it be a good idea to add some examples of the images I've done etc.

I don't have any logos made, though, would it be a good idea to make some? I was thinking of say drawing a template for a logo and then scanning it into Photoshop and editing it on there to improve the look...

Please let me know what you think.

Kiwiberry

Kiko, not sure if you've thought of this, but you could put you're services up for auction on eBay. I see lots of sellers selling logos, favicons, and webdesign. This way you can build your portfolio, and maybe help out another startup site.

RAJO

kiko:
think first of what you want to do?
1- what field exactly are you going to practise in: web design, logo design, animation, 3d work, banners, ........?
2- are you having a portfolio stock for this branch or you need to increase it?
3- what method of payment are you going to use? paypal? check? .....
4- how you going to protect your work? contract? other? ..
and lot of other things
hope this could help you

kiko_friendly

1 I want to work doing anything I possibly can, if someone wants it.
2 I don't really know what you mean by that.
3 Paypal =)
4 Contract

Kiwiberry//That sounds like a really good idea, I think I might take a further look into that. Thanks =)

Vaelor

(Damn it, I just wrote a huge long reply to this thread, and then accidentally closed off the window halfway! Dontcha just hate that?! Anyways, take two then...)

Kiko,

Pay rates for internet services, whatever area you're looking into, vary drastically depending on countless factors, from the person's skills and qualifications and the complexity of work required, right down to seemingly trivial things like how the client gets in touch with the contractor, and how big their ego is. Quality/quantity of work aside, the rates can vary so dramatically for the exact same piece of work between two different contractors that it's almost impossible to gauge what an "industry standard" rate of pay would be for any given task.

That said, one of the most important parts of trying to sell any service on the internet, is being able to provide an example of your work in a portfolio that prospective clients can see. Ideally, you really should be able to show at least one or two examples of each seperate type of service you intend to offer, ie. web logos, rendered graphics, webpage design, programming, etc. If you haven't got any formal contracts to your name yet, it's okay to create these things purely for the sake of your portfolio - most prospective clients are going to want to see that you're capable of doing the work, not how many big name companies you've done it for in the past. When you're freelancing, it's your talents and skills that count, not your education and work history like in the rat race.

Also, it should be noted that especially if one of your services is going to be basic web design, your website itself will be your biggest selling point - it really won't matter how many brilliant looking web pages you have in your portfolio if the actual site you're showcasing them on looks like something you banged together in five minutes in MS Frontpage! =) Obviously your main site will be the first thing a visiting potential client will see, so you have to grab them right from the get-go.

Now, back to the pricing issue. I've worked on all sides of the private contracting game in my time - I've contracted out my own skills to clients, I've worked as a liason/escrow between contractors and clients, and I've hired contractors for my own jobs. I can say with authority that there really is no way to ascertain how much you should charge (or pay), because, like most anything in life, design work is only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it. I can tell you though, what I currently pay for various outsourced services, which may help give you an idea of what some of your competition is charging:-

Complex graphic design/digital art: USD$22.50 / CAD$27.00 / GBP£13.00 per hour
Web programming (PHP, PERL, Java, etc.): USD$16.00 / CAD$19.00 / GBP£9.00 per hour
Simple website logos: USD$25.00 / CAD$30.00 / GBP£14.00 flat rate per logo
Basic web design (HTML, Javascript): I currently do my basic web design work myself rather than outsourcing, but would not pay much more than about USD$12.00 / CAD$14.50 / GBP£7.00 per hour for it if I did.

These figures are rounded off for convenience, since I pay my contractors in varying currencies depending on their geographic location, but that gives you some idea. It should be noted though that because I have agreements/negotations of ongoing work with most of my contractors, I pay slightly cheaper than what they'd normally charge, because they have an assurance on my loyalty to them for ongoing work. This is quite common in the industry - many contractors have one rate for once-off jobs, and a discounted rate for their "regular clients".

Mind you, it should be known that I have several associates who are freelance web designers/coders, and some of them are charging up to USD$55.00 / CAD$65.00 / GBP£31.00 per hour for web design, regardless of whether the job is a three-page HTML website, or a hugely complex PHP/ASP/ColdFusion dynamic database driven web project - and they don't have any shortage of work, even at those insane prices. I also have colleagues who only hire Indian or Asian designers/coders for their work, as these people often charge as little as USD$3.50 / CAD$4.00 / GBP£2.00 per hour, and while I personally would never use these kinds of services, the people I know that do are usually fairly happy with the quality of work. So it just goes to show how starkly contrasting the pay rates can be - there's really no set system to it whatsoever.

My advice to you though? If you're just starting out, keep your prices as low as you can comfortable justify to yourself for the level of effort you're putting into your work. As you start building up a stronger portfolio, a bigger clientele base, and can put more money into marketing/promoting your services, you can then start raising your prices, and keep raising them until you find your workload decreasing as a result. Then find a happy medium somewhere in the middle where you find people are willing to pay that price for your work, but you're still making a comfortable profit on your effort, and stick with that price. Like anything you sell, a little trial and error is truly the best way to find your perfect sale price. =)

Hope this info has been of some use to you. Best of luck entering the big world of freelance web entrepreneurs, and I look forward to seeing your portfolio - I'm always keeping an eye out for new talent! =)

Last edited:

ISDProductions

i charge $30 per hour for flash work and $40 per hour if it involves heavy actionscripting. Any photoshop work I do, i usually charge anywhere from $30 to $45 an hour depending on the complexity of the design.

Vaelor

Flash, I can't say. I've never worked with it myself, and I've never contracted out any Flash work to freelancers. Photoshop work comes under Graphic Design though, see my previous post.

Good luck with your business kiko!