(OS 9) Mac users accessing GoDaddy control panel

MacNeticM

It's easy to find lots (AND LOTS!!) of comments from folks generally dissatisfied with GoDaddy's unprofessional behavior, immature, uninformed ignorant staff, substandard tech support, etc. (Search for "GoDaddy sucks" to find millions!)

I've found plenty about the problems GoDaddy's recently been causing for Mac users; most primarily related to masking / forwarding issues and certain Mac browsers (usually Safari).

The problem I'm encountering is trying to use GoDaddy's control panel (also HostingDude's, which I believe to be the same as GoDaddy) using OS 9 (specifically 9.2) with any Mac browser. Not surprising that IE5 didn't work but neither has Mozilla, Netscape 7, iCab or anything I've tried. I've not experienced this sort of situation ever before with any site. GoDaddy's support staff is, of course, of no help whatsoever other than to suggest I check my cookie settings or "go use a different computer"!

On GoDaddy.com there are tests to check your javascript, cookie settings, etc. which confirm my browsers should work with no problems. But it doesn't work and there are plenty of problems. (I've also found plenty of criticisms about their poorly designed application but none that specify if they encounte the same or different problems).

I've found posts that confirm GoDaddy's servers are "broken" and that, technically, their site shouldn't work on any browser ..but some browsers are very forgiving.

My question is, are there any other Mac Users out there using OS 9 that have somehow been able to access the GoDaddy control panel? Is so, please share how; using what browser, etc.?

Or is it simply impossible? is there any chance the problem could be on my end; some firewall, proxie, isp issue, etc?

Thanks for any help.

Marcus Cyganiak

I use Mac OS X Leopard and GoDaddy's control panel works fine with Firefox and Safari. I've never had an issue, but I've never been on Mac OS 9.

On a PC though, if you're using IE5 you're best to upgrade your browser since IE6 and below are considered ancient fossils now. The latest upgrade is IE8, with IE9 currently in development with an eventual release.

Marcus Cyganiak

I'd like to add though that online web control panels for hosting are always going to be troublesome. You're best to download an FTP client software such as Fetch or FileZilla.