Offline scripts are not working

coldmail590

Hi everyone! First time posting here. I am sure that I will have many questions to ask in the future.

I am a beginner to web design. Recently I have been trying to learn more about scripting, so I tried looking at websites that uses it.

For example, I have been looking at the Lightbox script

http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

What I have been doing is working backwards by looking at the page source code from websites to see how things are set up and used.

I use Firefox and "save as" the webpage to my computer. But when I try to open the saved html page on my computer, the parts of the webpage that uses the scripts do not work. For the example shown above, I would not be able to see the thumbnails and the lightbox overlay effect.

I also use a program called PageNext which downloads the webpage for offline viewing. So I am sure I have all the necessary files in the right directories.

Thank you very much for your help!

Theta

Hi coldmail,

I'm not sure I perfectly understood how you saved the page, but here is what you can do do examine those scripts more closely:

On the Lightbox page you will find a zip file to download. Download and unpack it. That contains all the javascript and CSS files along with a description of how to use them with a HTML file.

And if you want to see the example of how they included the js files, you don't have to save the HTML to your computer, just right click anywhere on the page and chose View Page Source (you wrote you were using Firefox) and you will see the HTML code.

I hope this helped.
Good luck!