No </HEAD> tag?

cj929

I had a site designed recently, since then I have been learning html- I looked at part of the code for my index page and there doesnt seem to be a </HEAD> tag present, could you look at the following code and tell me if i need to add the </HEAD> tag and if so where?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<TITLE>Onbike Scotland | Best biking roads in Scotland | DVD footage</TITLE>
<META NAME="ROBOTS" content="INDEX,FOLLOW">
<meta name="Keywords"content="Biking Scotland, Scottish roads, Scottish Biking, A82, A87, A887, A890, A896, A832, A816, A939, A826, A827, Northern Scotland, Central Scotland, Southern Scotland">
<meta name="Description" content="DVD footage of the roads in Scotland. Excellent for biking.">
<meta name="Publisher" content="www.designit.com">
<META name="verify-v1" content="fI4fPRdLazADbRh5GKQ5tbg14ydePmddP1nCuY/ZMcI=" />
<meta name="Author" content="netspace">
<meta name="Revisit-after" content="5 days">
<meta name="Classification" content="non-profit">
<meta name="Distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="Rating" content="Safe for Kids">
<meta name="Copyright" content="ICRfm">
<meta name="Language" content="en-uk">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="/Favicon.ico">
<script language="javascript">
window.status="Designed & Produced by Netspace Copyright 2006";
</script>
<style type="text/css">

thanks

qadisha

</head> tag

It would be interesting to see what comes after the code you've quoted because the <title> + meta names + script all come into the Head section but this: <style type="text/css"> seems incomplete without a link to the stylesheet.

Anyway the tag </head> comes at the end of the block of code you've given, then there is an opening <body> tag and right at the end of the page a closing </body> tag and closing </html> tag.

Seo1

Hi friend anyone call tell me is meta tags are necessary for search engine indexing purpose.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be interesting to see what comes after the code you've quoted because the <title> + meta names + script all come into the Head section but this: <style type="text/css"> seems incomplete without a link to the stylesheet.

Anyway the tag </head> comes at the end of the block of code you've given, then there is an opening <body> tag and right at the end of the page a closing </body> tag and closing </html> tag.

i agree, it would be interesting to see the rest of the code.

however, the head tag would not be at the end of that block as it is incomplete. if you want to place the css code into the head of page, you would need to complete the css code and close the style block before closing the head.

it is not advisable to place tags out of order, as it would not be standards compliant and could potentially cause an error in some browsers. for instance, something like the following example would be bad code...

Code:
<b>This is an <i>example</b> of bad coding.</i>
instead the proper code would look like...

Code:
<b>This is an <i>example</i></b><i> of bad coding.</i>
it is ok to nest tags inside other tags, but they would need to be closed before closing the tag that they are nested within. did that make sense?