No Follow link juice questions post penguin update

joesamson145

After Penguin update I'm nervous about everything...

So I wonder? I you have nofollow links with relevant anchor text, it passes no page rank I know, but does it help in Serps to increase relevancy?

Additionally, do links like http://www.example.com help to balance your "natural" link profile? Or would it only be the dofollow ones that would dilute them?

Hope I'm clear enough, kind of hard to explain!

joesamson145

Hi Chris,

Well at first I got pretty irked at your comment "Not something you should even be caring about."...

Yeah right, and nobody should ever care about paying rent and utilities either.

This is a cute utopian concept that goes right along the lines of monsters like Google, do you know why they want content?

Because it's free for them, they don't want to pay journalists to write, so they like to use/utilize/exploit the "community".

Guys like you that write fantastic articles that won't make you a penny, quality or not. Your article would be worth a lot of money to a newspaper. But Google sure ain't going to pay you, maybe a few pennies or so from Adsense.

However I do agree with you that content does matter and all that bla bla bla.

Of course Stephen King writes great books, but for every Stephen King there are 1 000 000's of starving writers....

So is "content" important?

Sure.

But can one ignore link building?

Nope.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're worried about what "Penguin" will do to your SERPs, you're doing it wrong. Chris hit the nail on the head. Quit worrying about that crap. If you had good, original content, you wouldn't need to link build or worry about PR or any of it. People who understand this may drive less overall traffic, but you know what? The traffic they do get is the right kinda traffic. It's the old quality vs. quantity kinda thing.

joesamson145

To a point yes this is true, but in another way it doesn't always matter.

You can have an hillarious video on Youtube with 30 000 000 views and make nothing, even if it's the best ever.

However you can have a site with good rankings that make your tangible money.

So in some cases good content works, in others it's useless.

So completely ignoring rankings OR content is not the way to go.

They both have to be reckoned with in my opinion.

Sometimes you just can't have quality content, if you were selling toothpicks for example...or peples or pig farm boot soles...

Sometimes you need ranking!

AuctionGuy

Hi everyone, this is my first time on the forum.

I own a forum about storage auctions and it's running SMF 2.0.2.

I have "no follow all links" installed and it works great; however, there are times when I want to add a "do follow" link with anchor text within a post or at the footer of every page. I can't figure out how to make the link followed. Do I add something in the HTML or is there a setting I need to change?

Also, I noticed that the owner of this forum has followed links to other forums in the footer. Does this have a positive impact on SEO?

chrishirst

Staff member
First off "do follow" does not exist, a link with a rel="nofollow" attribute is just a link

Does this have a positive impact on SEO?
Probably not

ALSO "nofollow" is something of a misnomer, links with or without the attribute, links WILL be "followed" to the target URL, that is, meaning they will be used for "URL discovery", but "nofollowed" links will not pass "value" or anchor text weighting to the target.

JoshuaReen

If you're worried about what "Penguin" will do to your SERPs, you're doing it wrong. Chris hit the nail on the head. Quit worrying about that crap. If you had good, original content, you wouldn't need to link build or worry about PR or any of it. People who understand this may drive less overall traffic, but you know what? The traffic they do get is the right kinda traffic. It's the old quality vs. quantity kinda thing.

I agree with this comment. The unique and high quality content is the king. My blog has only 61 unique posts and its a new blog and it gets 200 visitors per day from Google. I never advertised it and never created a single backlink for it. I just concentrate upon content.

AuctionGuy

First off "do follow" does not exist, a link with a rel="nofollow" attribute is just a link

Probably not

ALSO "nofollow" is something of a misnomer, links with or without the attribute, links WILL be "followed" to the target URL, that is, meaning they will be used for "URL discovery", but "nofollowed" links will not pass "value" or anchor text weighting to the target.

I appreciate the response. Is there a way to add a link that passes value on my forum which utilizes "no follow all links?" Surely, as an administrator, there is a way to override this.

chrishirst

Staff member
Not really, search engines will decide which links pass "value" or not, you have no control over that. You can exclude links from passing value in several ways but there is no method of suggesting that a link MUST and WILL pass value or anchor text.

Realistically you are considering this 'problem' from the wrong angle, it is NOT search engines you should be concerned about, they will do what they want regardless of what you do.

Just forget about links and "SEO", the two are NOT synonomous.