New Website Design Company - Need Reviews

LCWS

Having developed websites, both as a hobby and professionally, I decided to launch my own company called Low Cost Website Solutions. Please check out the site and let me know what you think. Also, I am looking for other designers fluent in HTML, CSS and JavaScript, as well as knowledgeable in working with and modifying WordPress, here in the Los Angeles area to go in partnership with me on this. You can use the "Contact Us" form on my site to send me a message if interested. Thanks.

chrishirst

Staff member
What's to "review"??

It is a bog standard "TwentyTwelve" theme with some images changed.

And if you are going to set anchor text to be bold on hover, do not use inline elements so the navigation "jumps" when the mouse pointer goes on and off the links.

LCWS

What's to "review"??

It is a bog standard "TwentyTwelve" theme with some images changed.

And if you are going to set anchor text to be bold on hover, do not use inline elements so the navigation "jumps" when the mouse pointer goes on and off the links.

While the site does have Twenty Twelve as the parent theme, I'm actually running a child theme with more modifications than just images. I did revert back to the original anchor text, with the only difference being the color so it doesn't "jump" on hover...

Handpickedhp

I would give you a 2.4/10 for the design and main banner. The background texture looks like a pre-made background from word and the layout made with Geocities.

I mean the main banner is just 100% wrong, wrong fonts for the text, ugly and useless swirl "effect" .... Looks like something from 1993.

And I got a couple of " The server is too busy at the moment. Please reload this page few seconds later. " when navigating through your website.

Your using wordpress, you seem to know how to code, take a look at some premium theme ( http://www.handpickedwordpressthemes.com ). Responsive and portfolio theme section.

You should invest 40-60$ in a premium theme and customize the code if needed. But your lack of design skill will just kill your buisness.

I know how to edit and modify wordpress core and wordpress theme, but im not in LA ...

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
take a look at some premium theme

Why 'premium themes' (leaving aside the self promo link drop of course).

You could just take Chris Coyer's "blank WordPress theme" and build your own library of templates.

Or spend some time reading the WordPress codex on developing your own from scratch. It's not as difficult as it looks at first.

Unlike Joomla! or Drupal!! </rant>

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first CMS I developed themes for was Joomla (well, Mambo, actually, but back then the difference wasn't huge). I found WP to be about the same level of difficulty, but way more powerful. The fine-tuned control over content display in the theme itself is pretty good. Contrasted with Joomla, where that control takes place in the backend, and isn't always very easy to find.

The hardest part for me to understand was how/why "the loop" worked. Once I figured that out, it was all down hill.

Edge

Cruel to be kind - 'Eek' is the only word for it.
I think the recommendation for 'premium' theme was based on the evident lack of design skills.

chrishirst

Staff member
The first CMS I developed themes for was Joomla (well, Mambo, actually, but back then the difference wasn't huge). I found WP to be about the same level of difficulty, but way more powerful. The fine-tuned control over content display in the theme itself is pretty good. Contrasted with Joomla, where that control takes place in the backend, and isn't always very easy to find.

The hardest part for me to understand was how/why "the loop" worked. Once I figured that out, it was all down hill.
Joomla/Mambo in it's early incarnations wasn't too bad, the problem I see with Joomla! v2.5 and v3 is that the developers have tried to add everything AND the proverbial 'kitchen sink' into the CMS in it's "out of the box" state, unfortunately that makes the backend into complete information overload, and we are finding that people who could use Joomla 1.5 with some success, are struggling with 2.5.

I found the WP 'loop' relatively simple to understand, though that's probably because I had used a very similar method in the ASP CMS I coded before Wordpress even appeared publicly.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found the WP 'loop' relatively simple to understand, though that's probably because I had used a very similar method in the ASP CMS I coded before Wordpress even appeared publicly.

It took me a while to pick it up mostly because 1) I didn't know any PHP & 2) until about 18 months ago, scripting languages were a bit beyond my grasp. I've since had my "aha!" moment, and have picked up JS and am working on learning PHP.

Haven't used Joomla since 1.5, so I really don't know what all has changed. I did run up an install of 2.5 once. At first glance the backend really didn't seem too different.

leroy30

Hi there,

Unfortunately I don't have time to properly review your site but you will find a lot of good feedback if you post it on conceptfeedback.com

People will critique the hell out of it, but they will offer many helpful suggestions at the same time.