New to Affilate Programs/Site Review

jnjc

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to affiliate advertising etc. but I decided to give it a shot. I have put together this website www.competitionblog.com.au . The idea behind the site is that it will offer listings of free to enter competitions.

Most, but not all of these are affiliate programs where I should get a per lead commission.

It's been running for about two weeks now but it's generating next to nothing click wise. I am getting between 10-20 hits a day but I'm not making anything on them and the number is not growing (despite the fact I've been updating daily).

1) Anybody got any comments about the layout etc.
2) Is there something I need to do to make it more appealing/entice people to click the banner adds (looks like I'm getting next to nothing on those) ?
3) Is the revenue typically low for this sort of site (I'll be lucky to make $1 out of ten visitors)?
4) Any other suggest would be gratefully received ....

TIA,
JC

suz

Hi JC, nice site. Don't get discouraged for not converting with 10-20 hits a day. I've always found the numbers have to be much higher in order to start.

An idea might be to write a few "educational" articles. "How to make money by entering competitions" "Tips to give you the best chance of winning a competition", interviews with people who do it for a living etc. Then use the articles either as guest posts at popular related blogs, newsletters, free to republish articles etc. Or on your own blog and get friends to Stumble it.

It might be a good start anyway, I'm sure there must be plenty of other ways to promote it too.

jnjc

Thanks Suz,

That's a good tip about the articles I'll definitely take that on board.

Another question about the site, in peoples experience does less = more when it comes to the actual affiliate banners on the left hand side ? I am starting to think that maybe someone looking at the site may think yea, yea, yea another row of banners. Whereas if I limited it to just 1 or two are they more likely to get a hit ?

TIA,
JC

suz

I have heard that too much choice makes people less likely to click but I tend to use a lot of banners myself so I'm not sure.