need your thoughts...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i know this would probably be better suited for computerforum.com, but i like it better here. :p

well, here is the deal, i will be getting a new desktop or laptop soon. as part of my christmas present my mother will be helping me with the purchase, so building a system is out of the question. anyways, the system my mother was insterest in for me was suprisingly sweet! especially since my mom can't tell the difference between a 3x86 and new P4 or AMD 64 system.

here are some specs on what she was looking at...

Fujitsu/Siemens Scaleo T
AMD 64 3400+
1 Gig DDR RAM
200 Gig HDD
DVD+RW
Radeon 9800 SE 256MB
6 in 1 card reader
USB/Firewire/LAN (basically all the standart stuff)
17" TFT (flatpanel) Monitor

cost, including shipping comes out to about 1400 EUR. which i would make a down payment and she would finance the rest over one year, which i would pay half of each payment. so that would be no more than 50 EUR at the most for 12 months for each of us.

anyways, knowing myself, i had to do some investigating for myself to see if i could find anything better at the same price or less. so, opening my new 05 cyberport.de catalog i stumbled over the new Apple iMac G5 sytems. they look and sound nice. but are they really worth a damn? i know the older generation of iMac systems weren't all what they were hyped up to be. any input would be much appreciated.

then further along thru my trusty catalog, i am back to PC's. i also looked at this system on the internet earlier today. it's as follows:

Sony VAIO PCV-RS704
P4HT 3.4 GHz
1 Gig DDR Ram
200 Gig HDD
DVD-Rom and DVD+/-RW
Radeon 9600XT 128MB
TV Tuner
Multi card reader
usb, lan, etc.

cost for this one would be just under 1300 EUR after shipping. i know sony is totally overpriced, but i have always loved their systems. don't ask why, i am just weird like that.

continued in next post ->

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok, so now i am on to laptops. i would really like a laptop do to its portability and limited space consumption this would be great for me. however, for the kind of processing power i want, funds get tight. anyways, here are a couple of laptops that fall into my price range...

Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo A 1630
AMD 64 3200+
512MB DDR Ram
60 Gig HDD
DVD+/-RW
ATI Mobile Radeon 9700 128MB
USB/Firewire/Lan/TV-Out/Modem/WiFi/4in1 card reader
15.4" WXGA

cost just under 1400 EUR shipped.

Acer Aspire 1520
AMD 64 3000+
512 MB DDR Ram
60 Gig HDD
DVD+/-RW
nVidia GeForce FX Go5700 64MB
15.4" WXGA

cost just over 1400 EUR shipped

there was also a laptop from ASUS with pretty much the same specs as the first one of the two that i just listed, but i believe it was 3400+. it also falls into that same price bracket. if i went for a laptop, i think ASUS would be my first choice, since i can afford a custom laptop from Alienware. lol...

anyways, let me know if you guys have any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions. i still have a couple of weeks before i order anything, so i'll be doing some more searching as well, who knows what i might come accross. :)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
a POS system that i pieced together out of various old sytems i have laying around. it's based on a duron 650, need i say more... lol

ian

Administrator
Staff member
duron 650 aint so bad, I was going to spoil your fun and say you should hold on to what computer you already have. I have a policy of not financing anything apart from a house, and making do with what I have.
I think I had a 486 when I started WMF, or had only just upgraded shortly before starting that site. But then nowadays I have a policy of upgrading computer every 3 years, rain hail or shine...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, i am used to having much more power than i have now. so it gets really anoying not being able to do many of the things i am acustomed to. anyways, i think i know what i am going to go for. one of the following...

Fujitsu/Siemens Scaleo T

AMD 64 3500+
512 MB DDR400
160 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon X600XT 256MB
DVD+/-RW
DVD Rom
6in1 card reader and all the other standard stuff
Fujitsu/Siemens Flat Panel Speakers with Sub in black
BenQ 19" TFT Flat Panel in black

or

Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo A 1630

AMD 64 3200+
512MB DDR Ram
60 Gig HDD
DVD+/-RW
ATI Mobile Radeon 9700 128MB
15.4" WXGA

i do however agree with you ian, i don't like financing things either, but this is rather small insignificant amount to me, as i will make a rather large down payment. i have been saving money for a new system anyways, so this really is just an opportunity to get something better than i would have otherwise been able to afford.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Actually if anything happened to my computer and I didnt have the money to buy a new one, I wouldnt hesitate the slightest bit to finance a new computer, no way would I do without. And if it meant using a POS P3 700 I have in the house, I would also finance a new computer. Once you have grown accustomed to speed, there is no going back....