Need some creative ideas for linkhandling (css/jquery/html)

enat

I'm not entirely sure where to put this, but as it concerns css, and quite possibly jquery, I'll roll it on into this forum.

I'm working on a new site, and I'm not entirely sure as how to handle the links of it, ideally i'd like it to be a 1-page affair as much as possible, so what I thought is that each link would open inside a div.

As you can see by the sketch below, I've a middle column which i dubbed 'SERVICES' that displays various categories of service that I have, hence the 3 centered columns below.

Here's the sketch:
al1.png

Now at first thought, the 3 Categories would be a dropdown menu in essence, which I thought to make in jQuery, specifically a modified version of this:

http://buildinternet.com/live/smoothmenu/animated-menu.html
Code for it is here: http://buildinternet.com/2009/01/how-to-make-a-smooth-animated-menu-with-jquery/

On top of that, on hovering each link in this dropdown I thought to use a jQuery tooltip, that describes the service in brief, and once clicked more details would emerge of the service .. So if you fall back to my sketch, when a link in M1 is clicked, I'd want the details + a form to open in M2, as sketched.

Th problem I'm having is two-fold:
1. I dont have enough JQuery experience to mesh the tool-tip with the propsed drop-down
2. I'm not onventive enough to figure out how to make M1 result in M2 (the sketch yet again! lol)

Please please help me figure out a better way, or a good way to do this!

Last edited:

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any way you could use a smaller version of that image and link to a larger version? Makes the whole thing a pain to read.

Anyway, are you trying to make the content load without leaving the page? It would probably be easier and more search engine friendly to just load the content on separate pages. However, if you're bent on the single page thing, check out jQuery's .load() function.

As for the tooltip, have a look here.

enat

Any way you could use a smaller version of that image and link to a larger version? Makes the whole thing a pain to read.

Anyway, are you trying to make the content load without leaving the page? It would probably be easier and more search engine friendly to just load the content on separate pages. However, if you're bent on the single page thing, check out jQuery's .load() function.

As for the tooltip, have a look here.
True, didn't think of the SEO factor at all .. very well
Different pages it'll have to be.