Need Help in web design. Newbie here

Shadez

Hi!

I know nothing about web design.

Want to set up a simple webpage. I tried doing with front page but i dun really know how to use it.

Need some help here.

Can someone assist?

please email me at [email protected]

Shadez

Thank you!

Hi Ian,

Thank you!

Is Frontpage good to use for webdesign ?

Is there other software that is good for webdesign?

Thank you!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
As Chroder said, dreamweaver is better, but if frontpage is all that you have, it is not that bad to get started, and learn with, and grasp the basic concepts of building a website.

Shadez

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your advise.

Guess i have to start with Frontpage first. Not very good with All these.

Thank you!

ldburroughs

True, Dreamweaver would be a great way to go but the newest version of Frontpage (I think 2003) is a great way to get started on a simple site. It suits my needs very well. I run a simple site to communicate with my friends and relatives in other states and overseas. I haven't updated it in about a week or so but you may have a look if interested for ideas. (www.magpoc.com) It all depends on what you want the site for. Once you become proficient in whichever design program you choose, you need to consider hosting options as well. For me, I do it mainly as a hobby so I like the interface Frontpage provides. Once you get to an advanced level you will want to consider other web authoring programs though. Again, it all depends on what you want to do with your site.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ldburroughs, i hope you don't mind, but i took a look at your source. just giving it a quick once over, it does look much cleaner than older versions of frontpage, but there still are quite a few tags that are exesive and un-needed. for instance...

Code:
<center>
<center>
<center>
<center>
<center>
<center>
<h2><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="4">Thoughts on Disney.</font></h2>
</center>
</center>

</center>
</center>
</center>
</center>

but like i said, it does look much better than older versions of frontpage. i am very happy to see that microsoft has finally realized why frontpage has been so undesirable in the past, although i do think they are to late, as they already lost that market to marcomedia for the most part.

ldburroughs

I don't mind at all. I really just wanted to share my experiences with Frontpage. I, like the original person who posted on this thread, had to start somewhere. It fit my needs sufficiently. I am starting to look into others as I am learning more over time. To be honest, I know very little about the source code you were looking at. In fact, I don't know that I have looked at it myself. My level of experience has been with altering some of what Frontpage creates. I do very little, if any, authoring of my own. Mine is just a family site and I have seen worse. Have a great day all!

SuperSmash

Although I have never used FP, my advice would be to start somewhere, preferably very simple (similar to what Idburroughs was saying). I would not recommend starting with DW simply because of the complexity of the software. I would start with some editor that is simple (and therefore limited) simply because it makes design seem far less intimidating to begin with.

When I first started out someone recommended DW to me and I tried it and could not figure out why they would want to use it, because I could not figure out how to get anything done, not knowing anything about web design in the first place. Initially, I'd recommend starting simple, and then as you decide you need/want more stuff that you couldn't have, or that was tedious to include, you can upgrade and try new software. Become familiar with HTML though, just so you can at least read it, even if you couldn't code something from scratch; it isn't that difficult, and it can help you to save space and fix problems with badly generated code.

Good luck!

Wynnefield

shadez ...

do you just need to publish one page or multiple pages?
is the content static or dynamic? if dynamic, how often will you be making changes?
is the web server yours or outsourced (some servers are very "querky" about fp)?
is it personal or business (professional image more important)?

i would recommend a web design (or html) book and a text editor, unless you have already sunk the investment into fp. i found any tools (wysiwyg or otherwise) much simpler to understand after i learned the underlying code behind the pages i was creating ... and "a simple webpage" sounds like a terrific opportunity to learn a few of the details about the html structure of your page ...

jmho

AmyJNelson

Creating a fabulous web design proposal can be difficult at the beginning of the project, because although you may have the details of the project poster, you're not quite sure exactly what he or she wants. Above all, putting in every detail of what you can do for them that their proposal of a novel. So how do you create a wonderful proposal speaks to the client without overloading him or her? Look at the details very closely - Each project is published with an end goal in mind - something that the poster of the project wants to achieve. With most web design projects, who want a professional looking website that speaks to their own web site visitors and help sell a product, etc. Use this information when you are creating your proposal. Just think about the different things you can offer to help the client achieve their ultimate goal. This will help determine what should go in your proposal. Make sure you can meet the needs - and you're looking over the details of the project, will probably find that the sign of the project needs certain things from you. He or she might want the website to be very similar to another website without stepping on toes. You may want your website to be flash based or include certain elements. Make sure you can do exactly what they need and repeat back to them. For example, "I see you are in need of a website that is based on flash, but it is easy for visitors loads. Using a minimal amount of animation, including both user-friendly appearance based websites Flash Include additional information - If there are things you can offer the designer of the project that maybe he or she has not asked, but their cause, are mentioned. For example, you may have studied how consumers affect website designs online, and his eyes go automatically when you visit a website. This may affect the sales of poster project, and information that can really help your proposal stand out for him or her. Include other titles like this to make your proposal even stronger. Using the above information and special attention to detail, ensuring that you are able to meet customer needs and any additional useful information - the proposal can stand out from the crowd quite easily. Construct doubtful you can congregate the needs - along with you're give the impression of being over the details of the project, will probably find that the sign of the project needs certain things from you. He or she might want the website to be very similar to another website without stepping on toes. You may want your website to be flash based or include certain elements. Make sure you can do exactly what they need and repeat back to them. For example, "I see you are in need of a website that is based on flash, but it is easy for visitors loads. Using a minimal amount of animation, including both user-friendly appearance based websites Flash, I m confident I can create just that for you. "