Need advice on colour scheme and nav bar please

millsi80

This is the first time I have actually made a site (almost) from scratch. For this one I used a very basic 3 column css template that I found and have done the rest from scratch. The site in my sig is the one I am redesigning (I got some help with that one). I am not sure about the colour scheme or the nav bar on the left.

The text in the centre is just part of the template that I left on to give it a bit of substance as I work on it.

If you could give me some feedback on those 2 things or the site in general, that would be great!

You can see the layout that I made

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
the text logo at the top is too light and hard to read, perhaps a darker text logo against lighter background.
WIth regards to the text navigation links, the text font looks too big.

wetgravy

first and foremost ... remove the 90 odd lines of css code in your header and put it in a secondary .css file.

and other than that, i would change your nav links from images to css (they will look and work better) and make the banner more interesting and less like a photochop collage.

pingeyeg

A little too boring. Needs some more detail, color and pictures of some sort. Give it some more pizazz.

millsi80

I have changed the nav menu to use css and have changed the colour scheme, bg colour and banner.

If you could give me some suggestions, that would be great!

pingeyeg

This is much better, but I don't like the header. Doesn't give the site justice. There needs to be more to it than that.

cmjvulavala

As a layout its looking okay... as a few people have said... jazz up the top banner a little.
only other thing would be to make sure that you pick a suitable font colour for your main content... the middle section background seems a bit of a weird colour at the minute. I would either go for a grey colour (looks sort of like a pale brown for me :S) with darker text or a darker colour with light grey/white text. Thats pretty important to get it right... if not then you might struggle to read the actual content which cant be too good.

Overall a decent design... one or two things to change but there always is with designing templates :)

kiko_friendly

I also agree about the top banner.

you should use less images on it. Make them vary in size, perhaps? I also think that the photos should be clear instead of having that odd effect on them.

I would also use a different font style, colour and whatnot. I'd position it somewhere else, too. Perhaps try having HouseMDVideos in a larger font than .com, or a different colour?