my first website...help me out

peanutbutter

hello guys... this is my very first website, its not all that pretty or colorfull but im no designer, and i have absolutely zero skills, when it comes to this sort of thing.. anyway here its suppose to be a bodybuilding info website and as you can see its far from done i have created it using the trial version of webstudio, so i need your honest opinion on the layout of the site and the logo, let me know what i can do to improve.

and i know the logo looks wierd

Last edited:

StephanieCordray

Actually, it's not that bad... really it isn't. It isn't my type of site so I'm probably not the best judge either.

The biggest issue I see is the placement of your divs... You have huge gaps between them. If you tighten those up you might put the whole page into a better perspective from which to judge it.

Or, if you have problems with divs and placement, take everything out of divs and put them into tables.

peanutbutter

uhhh..yeah thanks, by divs you mean the mainbox and newsheadline box right. and you can compare to other similar websites...and let me know.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I think the site looks really good, I like the color scheme and also the use of text navigation links.
I agree with stephanie's comments, the main problem is with the spacing.

StephanieCordray

divs are what you used in the html code to layout your web page. They are invisible in the browser so to speak. You have look at the coding behind the pictures and layout you see in the browser to see the tags labeled <div> </div>

That is how your site is set up, using divs.

stuluk28

hey, I also agree.

It's got a nice overall 'feel' and consistant colour scheme. The blues and greys look nice, it makes the white type clear and the the website is easy on the eyes. But the boxes do seem to be a little 'floaty'.

If you brought the whole lot up a bit, then you wouldn't need to scroll down on the first page?

One more thing I notice, is that there seems to be different right-margins on each page. Some text finishes under the banner, others before, and on some pages afterwards!

As it looks like your steadily going through the site page by page; I would recommend create one master .html file. This can be set up completely and placed in a different folder. Then when you want to create a new page, copy the .html file to the site folder, rename it, and add the content and any images. That way every page will be consistant?

These are just ideas, nothing gospel, I consider myself a newbie anyway. I also know that when your constantly staring at something you begin to miss bits, which is why its useful to get another set of eyes to look at it!

peanutbutter

well I finally finished the profile section,

"It's got a nice overall 'feel' and consistant colour scheme. The blues and greys look nice, it makes the white type clear and the the website is easy on the eyes. But the boxes do seem to be a little 'floaty'"

yeah i know the boxes do seem a little out of place, any suggestions?
i still havent figured out the divs...

"If you brought the whole lot up a bit, then you wouldn't need to scroll down on the first page?"

well i left some space there for banner ads or links... if it looks bad i will fill it up, how about the logo does it need any improvement because i was thinking of changing the guy on the right

ISDProductions

yea, spacing, I get a bit OCD about it, but in my opinion symetry is everything, if you fix up the spacing though, I think it would look great.

peanutbutter

Complete Redesign

Well i completely redesigned the website, as you can see it's a lot better then the old one i made it using dreamweaver, its the final version it loads in a blink of an eye,..well 3-4 seconds and that's on dial up, redone the logo..changed a little. the empty space on the right is for ad's GNC or something, underneath it im gonna add info on forum's and link's...so let me know what you guy's thinkwww.anabolicguide.com

Last edited: