Moving phpBB forum to new host?

shovenose

Banned
And no, I can't ask my host to do it.

I need to move a phpBB forum exactly how it is from hostgator.com to shovehost.com.

How do I do it?
And yes I own shovehost.com, but I need to make sure I know how to do it if customers ask me to do it for them.
THank you.

DHDdirect

1. Backup the current forum database.

2. Make sure that the phpBB that is on hostgator at the moment is the lastest version offered. If not update it.

3.Once updated, backup the forum database again.

4. Install a fresh copy of the lastest version of phpBB onto your new host.

5. Restore the forum database with your latest backup over the freshly installed phpBB that is on your new host.

Hope that helps and good luck!

shovenose

Banned
OK. Let me give you situation!
Tech-Squad.org is hosted by freeforums.org, but they won't give us the information and posts. So me and the other admin came up with a plan: get their "Advanced Hosting" (which is Hostgator), grab the info, and run...(And cancel the Advanced Hosting soon enough that we can possibly get a refund)...
Then, make them point the domain tech-squad.org to an account on my host.
What parts of the forum do I need to backup?

DHDdirect

You should be able to create a backup of the database via the phpBB admin section. Are you saying you don't even have access to that?

If not I'd suggest just cutting any loses and starting from scratch.

phpBB Backup

Last edited:

shovenose

Banned
Well, the custom freeforums ACP is very restrictive. But since I'm assuming that if I get HostGator crap, then I will be able to do that backup thing?

DHDdirect

I'm not sure. If you are willing to risk losing X amount of money to try it with the possibility of you still not having control of your website then go for it.

I would think that who ever you have the board hosted with currently has an obligation to give you YOUR information if you request it.

It certainly sound like a crap service and if they are affiliated with hostgator then their service probably isn't much better.

shovenose

Banned
Well, Freeforums.org is crap. No, they are not affiliate with HostGator, they just use HostGator as the "Advanced Hosting". But Andy and I both know we need to get the hell out of there and that's what we're gonna do...but we have no idea how the hell to do it! :p

XeHSean

I would recommend that you ask your hosting provider to do it for you - most providers offer free account migration services

marbas

Yes you can! You can do it. it would be great doing it...try its new services.
1.gif

krymson

Are you going from cPanel to cPanel?

Do you know how to use SHELL?

I used t work for hostgator and used to do stuff like this but i only remember how to do it from cpanel to cpanel not cpanel to a different type of control panel

stewcer

2. Make sure that the phpBB that is on hostgator at the moment is the lastest version offered. If not update it.

5. Restore the forum database with your latest backup over the freshly installed phpBB that is on your new host.

I am very glad that I have found this explanation here. I will also move my own website to another web host and I was also not quite sure how this should work. I was not satisfied with my current webhost. So I decided to change to IX Webhosting.

this is a very easy to understand instruction..