Mobile design help

CrystalMedia

Hi, I'm a web developer of 10+ years off again on again knowledge who is going back into the field to help design a mobile gui for a few clients. Because I don't have the time or resources to hand write hundreds of sites for all different mobile platforms and browsers, I've been searching for a wysiwyg builder for handheld devices but all I'm finding is online conversion tools that end up charging you to host on their server.

I have hosts of my own I would like to go live on. All I'm looking for is a wysiwyg program to install designed to build mobile websites. Nothing amazing, even if I have to tweak the code for the top used mobile browsers then will allow me to export and upload to my host.

Is there such a thing? If they have handfulls of online only builders and countless HTML editors, I can't see why they don't have something I can buy or download for mobile websites.

:wall:

LouTheDesigner

Hi and welcome to the forum,

From my experience in developing websites for mobile devices, all I've needed was Dreamweaver. Mobile sites should be as simple as possible, because people just want to find information as quickly as possible, especially on a mobile device. You can design the mockups in photoshop, and then just open DW, insert a DIV tag, and then write out your css.

I suppose the reason why there isn't much other software is because your mobile site will look very different on just about every different phone that you view it on. Think about it -- different OSs, screensizes, and browsers.

I recall when the iPad was launching, I had to change a lot of specs of site that looked perfect on the iPhone in order for it to look ok for the iPad.

-Lou