Meta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmit

What is the most important aspect of Meta tags? Like what do web crawlers look at most? I keep putting loads of keywords in, but I don't know it is enough. I made my webpage with golive, and it’s been up for about a month, but still doesn't show up on Google. I didn't spam the keywords either.

Here is a link to the site if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out. I know the site is crap, I am going to be scraping it and starting from scratch, but I would like to know what to put in the Meta before I start on the new site.

http://www.rattlesnakehillfarm.com

StephanieCordray

The big deal with metatags is that you can load it up with keywords but those keywords need to show up in the content of the site somewhere.

If it's been only a month since submitting I wouldn't worry too much. Google is notoriously slow indexing new sites these days.

DLPerry

Shmit said:
does adding your URL help at all. i just found google Sitemaps. should i use that?

Having at least one sitemap in Google Sitemaps certainly cannot hurt.

I use it and have seen some positive results. I'm not sure if using Google Sitemaps actually can or does give one a leg up in getting indexed or not -- but the timing of activity in my instance seemed to indicate that it may have.

ISDProductions

I wouldn't submit your URL, I've always found that it is better to let google find your site on its own by finding links to it on other pages (I've tried both and in my experience i get indexed much quicker this way). In fact I have a 3 month old site, that isn't even nearly finished yet that has gotten a PR4 already using this method(obviously their are some other factors involved). Google Site Maps are a great idea. I make one for every website I create, having google know about every page on your site is a good thing, weather it helps you in SEO or not (make sure you use a robots.txt if you want to hide anything from the Search bots) Also forget about keywords when it comes to google, they ignore your keyword meta data. Worry about your html file names, individual page titles, meta descriptions, content, etc... for google. I have some articles on this at my site.

http://www.technologytutorials.org/search_engine_optimization/Search_Engine_Optimization.html

Last edited:

HopkinsMeve

I have read in an article that Meta Tags were originally designed to provide webmasters with a way to help search engines know what their site was about. This in turn helped the search engines decide how to rank the sites in their search results. Making Meta Tags is a simple process. As the competition increased, webmasters started manipulating this tool through spamming of keywords. In turn most search engines withdrew their support to Meta keywords Tag, which included Lycos and AltaVista. From being considered as one of the most reliable and important tool, Meta Tags are now often abused. In the present day scenario a vital feature that the Meta Tags provide to the websites is the ability to control, to a certain extent, how some search engines describe its web pages. Apart from this, Meta Tags also offer the ability to specify that a certain website page should not be indexed.

fromthe5

Shmit: The site isn't all that bad, but your call. Always put the title tag first in the head so it's the first thing the spiders see. Next is the description tag. Use it to describe what the page is all about. Don't try to stuff it with keywords. Make it readable and interesting. Next should be the keywords meta tag. In that tag generally use only words that are actually on the page. You can also use miss-spellings of your keywords and even synonyms. Don't stuff or repeat keywords into this tag either. (Or any tag)

I haven't submitted to a search engine in over ten years. ISDProductions is correct. Just get some incoming links to your site and the spiders will find you and you will get indexed. You DO however have to get links from sites that are actually in the index.

seoexpert

The most important part of meta tags in the title tag, keywords and description tags help, but they look at the title tag the most.

Bronzy

Be Natural always!! it is good practice to use keyword in Title & description, title and description shown on SERP, that is why be sure that you are not using the in such way that human thinks that it is spam. Visitor will click on on link when your title and description is attractive. BTW, I like your Meta's :)

adx

BTW, I like your Meta's :)

Can't really complain about the meta's ;) Though the creator of this thread has been at it for over two and a half years. I'm sure he's figured it out by now :rolleyes: someone should give him a call and tell him that we're still replying! :p

mrandrei

Your site has been crawled by google already. :) Anyways, metatags are important in SEO and they should be relevant to your content.

yelleyster

What is the most important aspect of Meta tags? Like what do web crawlers look at most? I keep putting loads of keywords in, but I don't know it is enough. I made my webpage with golive, and it’s been up for about a month, but still doesn't show up on Google. I didn't spam the keywords either.
[/URL]

Climbing that Google latter is definitely a hard thing to do. I know people who have been doing it for years and still arn't getting to where they wish they were. Thats why if anything, you just gotta take it one step at a time. Find someone that knows SEO and see if they can help you out

asifinfomist

Infomist Services

Hi,

Meta tags are very important, It can reflect what's your site is about. Crawlers first comes on the Meta tags and take a idea that what your site is about. You be careful in Meta tags.

Keith

The Title tag is very similar to the title of a book, it gives a visitor the first hint as to the theme of the Web site. The Description tag is comparable to the summary found on the back of a book, providing a brief guide to the content of your Web site. The Keywords are similar to the index of a book, allowing anyone to clearly see if the Web site contains the information they are seeking. There you go, META tags explained in just three sentences. I could stop right here and you would have a better understanding of META tags than 90 percent of Web site owners. But let's continue and see how META tags interact with your visitors and the search engines.

Bronzy

I visited your site its a good site just you need to do meta tagging in your site again try to put your keyword in Title, Description and Keyword add some content in your site and add those keyword on that contant. create sitemap again and resubmit your sitemap. your site definitely will get good rank
All The Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.