Meta data for people?

tonyzink

Hi all --

I've developed a new website (http://www.numetta.com) for capturing meta data for people and matching them, but I'm not sure if my site is easy to navigate and understand.

I would appreciate it if some of you experts would take a look at my site, try it out, and let me know what you think...?

Thanks!!!

StephanieCordray

Well, i think the first thing I would do is choose one logo and stick to it, preferrably one of the ones that is easiest to read. Navigation seems okay so far but you don't see much pre-registration and I'm not sure what it would be like afterwards. I don't want to register to find out, either.

Other concerns I would have for the site... if it were mine... is the lack of legal disclaimers and a privacy statement because you may require more information from your users than will actually be used for data matching. The terms and conditions are really too broad to be effective on their own.

tonyzink

StephanieCordray said:
Well, i think the first thing I would do is choose one logo and stick to it, preferrably one of the ones that is easiest to read. Navigation seems okay so far but you don't see much pre-registration and I'm not sure what it would be like afterwards. I don't want to register to find out, either.

Other concerns I would have for the site... if it were mine... is the lack of legal disclaimers and a privacy statement because you may require more information from your users than will actually be used for data matching. The terms and conditions are really too broad to be effective on their own.

Thanks for the feedback!

RE: the changing logo... although normally I would stick with a single logo, one of my guiding principles during the development of the website was that it should be flexible and dynamic in nature. The true power of the tool is in the capture of people's meta data and the use of that data to allow people to find one another quickly and easily.

You can use NuMetta to find people who have similar ideas, interests, or needs, such as:

-- If you’re interested in a certain hobby, such as video games or antique cars, then you can use NuMetta to find others in your area with similar interests.
-- If you like athletic activities such as bicycling or running, then you can use NuMetta to find others locally to share your activities with.
-- If you have a business idea and would like to meet people in your area who can help get your business off the ground, then NuMetta is for you.
-- If you have junk in your garage or basement that you’d like to get rid of (or if you’re looking for junk that other people might want to get rid of), then use NuMetta.

To make a long story short, I rotate website logos to symbolize the dynamic nature of NuMetta.

RE: privacy statement... point well taken. I will incorporate something into the "terms and conditions" stating that the information will not be shared etc. etc.

RE: "...you don't see much pre-registration"... I guess that I'll need to come up with a clean way to expose some of the innards of the tool so that 1st-time visitors can see how powerful it is.

Thanks again!

tonyzink

StephanieCordray said:

I've expanded my "terms and conditions" page to include a privacy statement.

Do the terms stated on this page seem adequate?

http://www.numetta.com/terms.php

Thanks!

StephanieCordray

I saw what the site is about but honestly, I have very little time to anything other than my work or hobbies that are solitary by their very nature.

Try some screenshots to make a demo but use some that don't disclose someone's private information or ask permission of the user before using the screenshot.

tonyzink

StephanieCordray said:
I saw what the site is about but honestly, I have very little time to anything other than my work or hobbies that are solitary by their very nature.

Try some screenshots to make a demo but use some that don't disclose someone's private information or ask permission of the user before using the screenshot.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm trying to think of the best way to show / demo the site in operation... without excessive image downloads. I may create some simple diagrams with some screenshots.

Has anyone seen any good examples of low-bandwidth / simple website demos?

Thanks!

StephanieCordray

The images don't necessarily have to be large, just enough to give a visitor an idea of what to expect... although you can provide the option to view a larger image if the visitors wish.

One way to cut down on bandwidth usage is to optimize images, jpgs around 80% are a much smaller file size than one at 100% without too much loss of quality... there will be some but not enough to make the images ineffective.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with stephanie, I think the site would be better with just one logo, it helps create a brand name and image for the site? How many of the really big sites out there have a different logo on every page?
Also when I see that first page, If I cant tell in an instant from the homepage what the site is about, I will move on. From the homepage of your site, I couldnt readily figure out what your site was about, so you need to work on that. Appear to the positive aspects of why someone would use the site, eg make friends with people who share your interests, if it is free now, highlight the fact that is free with some kind of image perhaps.

tonyzink

StephanieCordray said:
The images don't necessarily have to be large, just enough to give a visitor an idea of what to expect... although you can provide the option to view a larger image if the visitors wish.

One way to cut down on bandwidth usage is to optimize images, jpgs around 80% are a much smaller file size than one at 100% without too much loss of quality... there will be some but not enough to make the images ineffective.

Good points, Stephanie. I especially like the idea of having smaller screenshot images, yet allowing the visitors to view the larger versions if they want to see more detail.

Thanks again!

tonyzink

ian said:
I agree with stephanie, I think the site would be better with just one logo, it helps create a brand name and image for the site? How many of the really big sites out there have a different logo on every page?
Also when I see that first page, If I cant tell in an instant from the homepage what the site is about, I will move on. From the homepage of your site, I couldnt readily figure out what your site was about, so you need to work on that. Appear to the positive aspects of why someone would use the site, eg make friends with people who share your interests, if it is free now, highlight the fact that is free with some kind of image perhaps.

RE: changing logo... i did that to be fun and dynamic, but it seems like most of the feedback that I've received indicates that a single logo image is better. I guess I can have fun other ways... :D

RE: "If I cant tell in an instant"... point well taken. I wanted to take the flexible, "loosey-goosey" approach, but I think that I agree with you. On the web, you only have a few seconds to keep a visitor from clicking away...

Thanks for the feedback!

RAJO

why is the logo change from page to another?
u can do that
u have 2 have ONE logo and stick with it
and there's lot of empty spaces on the left