Making a living off the internet

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well the dream of every webmaster is to make a living off the internet..
I work full time, and for the most part, this is just my hobby, I enjoy building sites, and just about anything I make goes straight back into my websites.
But does anybody know anyone who is living the dream and making a full time living from their websites?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
It is not that hard to get to that point, I reckon I could make a comfortable living if that was all I was doing all day, but I much prefer a 9 to 5 job, well the security that it offers anyway. The web is fickle, one month you can be making money, the next you are not.

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
I'm still at the hobby stage (even after all these years) so anything I make is just pocket money... but at least it's still fun :)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
[tab] said:
I'm still at the hobby stage (even after all these years) so anything I make is just pocket money... but at least it's still fun :)
It definitely is fun and a challenge.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i used to make more money off the web than off of my day job, but that was about three years ago and i haven't made a dime since then. really haven't had the time, inspiration, or even motivation to really get anything going again as many of you already know. maybe someday....

ian

Administrator
Staff member
come on z.... get back with the program :D
surely working on the net beats a daytime job....

ian

Administrator
Staff member
and whilst it is harder to make money now than it was back in the good old days of the internet, I think things went through a low and are picking up strongly in the last year or so.....
The internet is making a resurgence...

Rincewind

A friend of mine started a small web deisgn firm with some other people back in the 90's. He sold it in 2000. Right at the hight of the boom. Each of the parteners in the firm became millionairs. But then things were different back then than it is now. There was allot of silly money moving around then. It's starting to get that way again. Difference is now there are more people grabbing for their share of the cash.

Currently I moderate and admin 3 forums and I'm working to starting more. Idealy I'd like to be a proffetional moderator. I don't think their are such things yet but that's the way I think things are going and I'm goning to be there when the rest of the world catches up (I hope).

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Rincewind said:
But then things were different back then than it is now. There was allot of silly money moving around then. It's starting to get that way again. Difference is now there are more people grabbing for their share of the cash.
I doubt things will ever go back to those days, but things are making somewhat of a resurgence, which is good to see.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rincewind said:
Currently I moderate and admin 3 forums and I'm working to starting more. Idealy I'd like to be a proffetional moderator. I don't think their are such things yet but that's the way I think things are going and I'm goning to be there when the rest of the world catches up (I hope).
i used to admin and moderate on serveral forums. i doubt there will ever be a position just solely for a professional moderator. it's just not feasibly from my point of view. but then again, i may be wrong, as i have been so many times. :)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
zkiller said:
i used to admin and moderate on serveral forums. i doubt there will ever be a position just solely for a professional moderator. it's just not feasibly from my point of view. but then again, i may be wrong, as i have been so many times. :)
I dont dismiss anything as impossible with the internet, I think administrators of some of the very large forums around could do alright.

Chroder

If I had a forum bringing in big bucks and I needed staff to keep things under control -- then I'd certainly pay them a bit. A place like the IGN boards.

Last edited:

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
as an admin of a large forum with a large income i could see, although even most of the big forums barely make ends meet off of advertising. bandwidth is a bitch!

however, as a moderator, i just don't see that.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
zkiller said:
as an admin of a large forum with a large income i could see, although even most of the big forums barely make ends meet off of advertising. bandwidth is a bitch!

however, as a moderator, i just don't see that.
I do agree with you in part, but you know large forums can easily make ends meet from advertising at the moment, but it all depends on the nature of the forum subject. Which is why I chose my topics very carefully. Perhaps you are referring to some of the larger forums, like automotive ones, or the like.
And bandwith aint quite the problem it used to be, for instance, at http://www.ev1servers.net/english/value_series.asp
A server with 1000gig of data transfer is only US$99 a month, but a tiny fraction of what things used to cost. computerforum.com pushes around 10gig a month, so I dont think the web hosting is the issue it once was.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
let's just assume that CoFo had ten times the number of members and an average of 300+ active users at any given time. now, what does your bandwidth bill look like? my old site used to burn more than 10gigs of transfer in 1 day. then, of course it got hacked and someone missused my server and i ended up with an 800 euro bill just for bandwidth. you won't get rich off of advertising alone, especially once you put your staff on some form of salary.

this is a rather pointless dispute, ain't it? :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
let's just assume that CoFo had ten times the number of members and an average of 300+ active users at any given time. now, what does your bandwidth bill look like?
Well if it had ten times the number of members and required ten times the amount of bandwith, thats say 100gig a month, now if a dedicated server could handle that, with a 1000gig bandwith allowance, only costing US$99 a month, that is not much, as i said bandwith does not cost what it once used to.
you won't get rich off of advertising alone, especially once you put your staff on some form of salary.
Well I am not saying you will, though have you tried adsense? Selling text links? And for the record, the plan for the forum network is definitely not to base its revenue on advertising alone, it is only being built as a platform for something else in the works, yeah another pipedream, but like I always say unless you try, how will you ever know what is possible. Also there are many companies out there who base their revenue model solely on advertising, so that is not an entirely true statement.
I cant disclose the cofo details, but I do have some systems in place for the administrators running the site, which is different to the way things were done at wmf.
I am not going to agree with you on this one, I am going to stay positive, basically everything I do is a learning experience, and I am learning more each day. And besides, I have a day job which pays me just fine, for the most part my websites are my hobby and an educational/learning experience. So whether they do well or not is irrelevant.
Like I said before, it is important that the niche you choose is a profitable one, size and traffic alone does not equate to profitability.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
By the way z... I hope it doesnt sound like I am arguing with you, just expressing a different point of view :)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
nothing i said was regarding your little network and future plans for it. i was talking about the possible of making a living of being a moderator as someone metioned earlier. i don't think any site would be able to pay enough to really make a living off of that salary alone. at least not in most of the countries of the world. that's all i was saying.

i am not trying to ague either, although it does seem to come off that way. :shrug: