Mailing List Ignorance...

jojosnack

If anyone has the time could they please explain to me.

I need a mailing list sign up form but have no idea how to go about it.

I would be very grateful if someone could explain the processes involved in getting an email address from someon'e fingertips into a 'send ready' format.

At the moment I feel like I'm trying to build a car when I don't even know what an engine is. hmm..

Our site was built using jpegs and hotspots. through building this, and attempting some others, (as well as endlessly fixing our computer) I have gained a certain amount of knowledge about web design etc but it is all self taught and there are gaping holes in my knowledge so i really need this whole thing explained to me in idiot talk!

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks
jojo

www.nationalsnack.co.uk

DLPerry

jojosnack said:
If anyone has the time could they please explain to me.

I need a mailing list sign up form but have no idea how to go about it.

I would be very grateful if someone could explain the processes involved in getting an email address from someon'e fingertips into a 'send ready' format.

At the moment I feel like I'm trying to build a car when I don't even know what an engine is. hmm..

Our site was built using jpegs and hotspots. through building this, and attempting some others, (as well as endlessly fixing our computer) I have gained a certain amount of knowledge about web design etc but it is all self taught and there are gaping holes in my knowledge so i really need this whole thing explained to me in idiot talk!

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks
jojo

www.nationalsnack.co.uk

The form itself is just html, but you will want/need a form handler of some sort to process the data submitted.
For simple forms, a good, easy to set-up and use, free form handler is MasterFeedback, which includes an easy to read and follow instruction Manual.

'name and email only' sample code using MasterFeedback: (between brackets [ ])

[ <form method="POST" action="http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/MasterFeedback.cgi">
<input type="hidden" name="subject" value="Master Feedback action!">
<input type="hidden" name="thankyou" value="http://www.yourdomain.com/thankyou.html">
<table border=0><tr>
<td align=right>Your name:</td>
<td><input type="text" name="realname" size="19"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td align=right>Your email:</td>
<td><input type="text" name="email" size="19"></td>
</tr></table>
<textarea name="message" rows="6" cols="32" wrap="soft"></textarea><br>
<input type="submit" VALUE="Feedback!">
</form> ]

Of course all this does is get the submitter's name and email sent to you via email. What you do with this data and how you set up your mailing list is something else entirely. If it is to be manually managed and distributed - the above may suffice. Below is what I recently advised one of my clients who was setting up monthly newsletter:

As you know, newsletters are a great way to build and maintain a relationship with your viewers. I'll give guidance where I can.

The easiest way to manage and distribute a regularly scheduled newsletter is via a Mailing List.

The way your newsletter sign-up form is currently:

Viewer submits subscriber form.
You receive an email with viewers subscriber info (name & email), and the viewer is automatically directed to the January newsletter.
New monthly newsletters must be uploaded to the server, then links must be updated in the form to point to the new file.
Each months newsletter must be manually emailed to the subscribers. If this is done via some sort of mailing list software - the subscriber data must be manually entered into the mailing list config each time a new subscriber email is received.

This set-up is acceptable for a small list, but as the list grows I think you can see how this will rapidly become a time-consuming chore. It also offers no authorization confirmation or protection from spamming (anyone can enter any name/email they want - no opt-in)

Ideally your monthly newsletter set-up will be something like this:
Viewer submits subscriber form, and is automatically sent a confirmation email (opt-in) which requires his/her to approve the subscription (double opt-in).
Once the viewer has authorized the subscription as detailed above - his/her data is automatically entered into the mailing list config - you receive an email with viewers subscriber info (name & email), and the viewer is automatically sent or directed to the current newsletter (no matter what date it is).

New monthly newsletters must still be uploaded to the server, but form links remain unchanged.

Each months newsletter is automatically emailed to the 'double opt-in' subscribers on the mailing list.

This set-up is designed for double opt-in security and routine task automation. Once this is in place, basically the only manual activity that will be required is the monthly newsletter upload to the server.

As I mentioned previously, you have some capabilities included with your hosting account, but for something with real ease of use and lots of functionality I recommend 'B-mailer' from Bontrager CGI - http://bontragercgi.com/programs/b-mailer/index.html
(note: I do not receive any compensation for this recommendation, I personally use this programmers software, and he is by far the best I have found in beaucoup years).

--dlp

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters even more. If I can be of any assistance just holler. :)