Looking for quotes for an overflow RFQ.

DLPerry

I have an overflow RFQ that I am looking to sub. If you are interested, and have verifiable experience in CMS installation/customization/etc., along with PayPal and Google integration, etc. - please contact me with your portfolio url, references, etc. -- dlperry at intuitivebydesign dot com

It looks like this one will need:
  • a CMS (PostNuke, Joomla ?),
  • interface with PayPal (and perhaps Google Checkout)

General Info:

RFQ only - Budget is unknown at this time.

• Website sells scrapbooking and stamping products.
  • Currently uses Paypal as a Merchant Account - open to changing to Google or offering both.
  • Needs to calculate taxes and quote shipping info correctly.
  • Needs to be able to have an accurate count of stock in hand.
  • Site owner wants to be able to work with the website, update it and enter products , etc.

No site administrator/manager/etc. desired. In clients own words...

" I do not want someone to administer my site, just build it and show me what I need to do in order to keep it running."

"I like http://www.homeandgardenandmore.com/. I like the main page and their cart."

"www.smudgesintime.com - I like the fact that products are shown in large pictures."

"www.createmykeepsake.com- i like the fact that when you open this site it is definitely shown as a scrapbook site."

StephanieCordray

The first and second sites in those links use html and a shopping cart (I'd recommend ZenCart or osCommerce both of which work very well with paypal or most any other mechant account. The third one is just a shopping cart with a few mods added for content. None of the three have content management systems in place as far as I can tell, although I didn't look that closely at the last one. When you click on the links, cart. is part of the link text.

You can easily customize either of the above carts with any html design. It's really all about module placements, and a little code tweaking. Unless the site needs to add new content constantly, I'd push for html and a shopping cart customized to fit the site, rather than a cms. A CMS is really only good for constantly changing content... well, that and some other things like uploads and downloads, forums, etc. etc. etc...

Why not do the site yourself (the html part) and sub out the shopping cart? We've subcontracted to do shopping carts several times... but only for our hosting customers... it's a pain in the butt getting support from another hosting company when it comes to that kind of thing.

I have a problem with that statement by the potential client. Even if he/she uses a content management system and a shopping cart, those scripts have to be updated often to keep them secure as vulnerabilities are discovered frequently... more often with the content management systems than the shopping carts, though.

Just building a site with one of those is often not enough. You also have to spend time optimizing and repairing databases... I'd recommend at least once a week for a high traffic site... probably more. For low traffic sites not so much.

DLPerry

You're right Stephanie - the example sites do not use CMS (at least not obvious ones - I didn't look too closely either). Those were sites the client gave as examples of related sites they liked.

I am looking to sub this one out because I don't have the time to take this one on full-time right now. I can do all of it myself - CMS, PayPal. Shopping Cart, etc. - I just don't have time to give it my full attention.

I too don't like the idea of a CMS, and I know it will not be as 'easy' as the client seems to think. The client is html-challenged and a CMS is what they think they need, and I haven't talked to them in detail about this - though if I did I would most certainly push a managed html site over CMS.

I would be open to splitting the project up if someone is adept at and interested in bidding on specific piecework. The client has indicated they prefer to remain at their existing host (UNIX based, the usual cp and ftp access, etc.), so that will be something to consider.