Linux or Windows host platform

natc143

I'm building a website for my employer. I was looking at ixwebhosting and was unsure which platform was better. Im building my site w/dreamweaver which has all programming languages. At some point, I'd like to build an investor login and database. Which platform would you recommend? I havent build a site w/an investor login and database yet, so I'm unsure what the best approach is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Natalie

conor

if you have no expirence of php then it will be hard for you to create a login area. I highly doubt that dreamweaver has access to all programing languages.

I recomend Linux hosting - it is far more secure and generally far better than microsoft hosting.

natc143

I dont have experience with php. After setting up the site, my friend was kind enough to offer to help with the login, etc...

Dreamweaver cs3 has html, coldfusion, php, asp vbscript, xslt, css, javas. xml.

Thanks for your feedback conor.

cmjvulavala

I would go for linux with cPanel as your control panel... its pretty easy to learn and most hosts offer it with Fantastico which is an auto-script installer. What type of things are you wanting to do with an investor login? Its definitely going to be a server side language and PHP is probably the best for the actual login.

natc143

Thanks cmjvulavala! I think we may want to keep investor reports available to specific investors using a login/password. That appears to be the next step. Which host would you recommend for Fantastico? I was going to use ixwebhosting...?

Thanks in advance!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the most part you are only going to get heavily biased answers to your question, when in reality it's a matter of what you plan on doing and you plan on using to achieve your goals, which will be the deciding factor for you on which platform is best suited for your needs. If you plan on using the standard php/mysql combo, then yes, linux is gonna be your best bet.

Richardvd

Linux hosting is cheaper than windows hosting. Choose only for windows hosting if you need asp access and a MS database.
Fantasico is not essential if you make your own website with dreamweaver.

ixwebhosting selling with unlimited transfer and space, unlimited is never possible. Choose for a hosting company with clear limiting values.

Last edited:

specialk

I would definitely go with the Linux base system. It's alot more secure, and has major performance over Windows systems.

The only reason you would need Windows based system, is if you were building a site with ASP.