Link Paths

Newengland

I want to show my visitor the page he has just left and show him whre he currently is I think they are called Link Paths, Iam using Front Page, but I have no idea how to go about creating these paths. Any help would be greatley aprieciated.

johnscott

Try searching for "Bread Crumbs" that's the path the user has taken to get to where they're at.

I think you'll need some server side processing to get that, but you might be able to just get it out of the http request.

orangecopper

nice topic.
Actually the feature i guess you are talking about is a feature that would be similar to a dynamic sitemap that gives user experience by letting them know where they are currently and gives better > navigation > like this. !

firstly let me know are you using any CMS or content managment like wordpress, if you are using wordpress the setting up breadcrumbs in wordpress would not take much time, just few seconds with plugin.

Else if its a website, either you would have to custom develop navigation system, do a google for"breadcumbs". for forums like these you already have that presetup.

let me know your further questions.

Cheers
josh

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure, if you are in fact looking for something along the line of bread crumbs. Being that you are using Front Page, I am guessing you are using static HTML pages.

Firstly, creating a link back to the previous page can be done quite easily with Javascript like this:

Code:
<a href="javascript: history.go(-1)">Back to previous page.</a>
A link to the current page in the case of static HTML pages would be no different than creating any other link.

Now if you are trying to create links dynamically, you will need to learn some form of server side scripting language, such as PHP or ASP.NET.

An example or more detailed description of what it is you are trying to accomplish might help us give you a more detailed answer.

Good luck! :)