Javascript Password Puzzle

Sogo7

Here's a little brain teaser for you all.

A client wants a secure members only area of thier website with username/password access control, however the sites web host does not support any form of server side scripting and to complicate matters further the client will not or cannot move host.

How would you code it?

DHDdirect

I think you should keep on pushing to change to a host that can provide at least the basic services required for modern websites.

But.. if it's linux hosting or windows hosting.. that will help to determine. If may be as easy as creating a .htaccess file in the folder you desire to protect

.HTACCESS Tutorial

Last edited:

Sogo7

Clients are without a doubt the bain of web designers lol

Incidently the hosting provider is running linux but the problem remains same as they don't allow thier clients to tinker with htaccess and restrict them to an online WYSIWYG with basic HTML edit options that thankfully allows Javascript to be inserted.

Took me a week to figure out with the aid of coffee so thick you could slice it.

Most if not everybody knows that Javascript can be circumvented in the browser but don't focus on the weakness explore the strengths. There is a way and it's nothing to do with disabling right click, obfustication or encryption.

DHDdirect

Wow..

I would only imagine that the reasoning behind this style of hosting is to keep there server/servers secure, so I would suggest requesting from the host a secure folder with username and password protection via .htaccess.

If they can not handle this simple request I'd just tell your client that it isn't possible to have a secure folder without the support of the webhost and suggest to seek a new host.

leroy30

You key issue here is *secure*...

Any amateur web person will ba able to hack it unless you have some kind of server-side security.