Is this a valid tool for a web designer to use?

fs_tigre

Hi,

I was reading some of the posts in this forum and a lot of them recommend to use CMS for your designs and this is basically a question I had.

Is this a valid tool for a web designer to use and sell the designs or even to make your own web site where you will be offering web design services?

I have always asked myself if this is a good tool why would someone hire a designer if they can get their own free template and modify it to their needs without having to learn web design or programming.

Could someone explain about this topic a little bit?

Thanks,
fs_tigre

axzm

I would highly recommend using a CMS if the project requires more than 10 pages and / or the need for dynamic features, such as the ability for users to login, forums, large contact forms, surveys, e-commerce, etc...

If it is just a small brochure static site though, you should probably just design and slice it up. I use to get CMS happy on projects and implement them when it really wasn't needed and it just added another headache as far as maintenance goes.

. I use Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress primarily, with an honorable mention to Blogger.

Last edited by a moderator:

kangomedia

Personally I use Wordpress as a CMS. I think that it is one of the best platforms to build websites on. It is highly customizable and there are tons of awesome plugins available for it.

A CMS is not necessarily for designing a site. You would design the site's look on your own with a third-party program like Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator. A CMS is simply a way for you to organize your site and offers a clean, easy way to update it.

True, some people might want to settle for free themes. But they still might not know how to set it up, or have the time to do it. This would be where you could come in and help them.

All of my sites are run on Wordpress. I don't tell my clients that though. I use it because it makes it easier for me to program them.

Hope that helps,

Freddy Rodriguez

fs_tigre

What would you tell the customer if at the end he/she realizes that it was something he/she could be done without having to hire a web designer?

Thanks,
Fs_tigre

rarepearldesign

Implementing a CMS is not something for someone who doesn't have technical skill, so them doing it on their own is probably not a possibility.

Also, the CMS is just the code, it still takes a designer to give their business a uniquely branded professional look. Implementing it themselves would give them a template looking site that likely is of no value to them really.

If by chance they are able to do it themselves, then you likely won't get them back as a customer BUT if you have been professional and honest with them, you will still get their referral to others who can't do it themselves.

artisites

have a look at learning SMARTY.

most clients will appreciate that you have the skills to implement a CMS based site rather than waste everyones time coming back for constant updates.

fs_tigre

Well it seems that everyone agreed, it is a good idea to use a CMS. This means I won’t be using dreamweaver or msql as much as I thought because everything is basically pre-made using a CMS.

Now, which CMS should I be looking into Joomla, wordpress…

Thanks
Fs_tigre

cmjvulavala

Part of the reason people will pay a 'web-designer' to make a website for them is that they dont always have the confidence to go about installing something such as Wordpress themselves. Its easy enough to do but most people dont try installing it before they get help... they just get help without seeing if they can do the job themselves.

As far as templates go... a lot is about knowing how to use Google effectively and a bit of common sense and you have a site with a premade template. Hand making an exclusive template is often a big cost... and implementing it on a CMS can take time... time = money and thats why the web designers will charge you for an exclusive template, not to mention that once its made they cant resell it to anyone else so they need to earn plenty off selling them template once.

suz

Hi Fs_tigre
Most people's eyes glaze over when mentioning the terms "templates" "CMS" "hosting". They don't want to deal with any of it, they want to pay someone else to deal with it.
Just be upfront and tell them you are charging for your time, the installation, customization etc the software is open source.

kangomedia

I wouldn't say you don't have to use Dreamweaver. That is still a powerful tool.

In fact, I use Dreamweaver with a Wordpress plugin that helps me to code my sites. In essence I convert all of my designs into Wordpress Themes.

conor

dreamweaver is not needed

The reason that people pay for the service is they dont have the time to invest in a project like that, and proffesionals can personalize sites to a greater level.

Bronzy

Hi

CMS is a website designer tool but dream weaver is best one to use graphics and all related problem If you use Front Page, Dream weaver, HTML, PhotoShop, Flash, Fireworks, ASP and JavaScript.

pingeyeg

I like CMS's, but most are a bit robust so you have a lot of stuff you don't actually need. Most of my customers only want to be able to update their text so therefore I created my own CMS for them to use. This way when I make the website I know exactly what needs to be done in order to integrate it into the website.

4folds

I personally don't like using a full blown CMS system because it puts me in a box. I like to design my own sites and then embed select functions that my clients want. I'll do something like calendars from Localendar, simplified CMS from iUpdateIt, blogs from Blogger embedded with FeedBurner or WidgetBox, etc... This way you get a flat website that you can customize and design the way you want, and then give it dynamic features that make it interactive. And, most of this is really easy to use and cheap or free to get.

MB12

Hey All, I am new here. Been in business for a couple years as a designer and hosting reseller. I have been asked by a potential client about Joomla so have been doing some research. Thanks for all of the above responses. I am weeding through them. DataBases are not my strong point and Joomla seems to be a nice alternative instead of losing clients. I don't know if I will learn it fast enough to land this one but it will help for the next ones. I find I can sell sites but if they aren't somewhat easy for clients to update in-house they aren't so interested. In this economy people don't want to be paying hourly for simple updates once they are launched.

Thanks again and I will enjoy browsing the forum,
Mike