Is Extreme Tracker Illegal?

Dysonline

Someone is claiming our compnay website is "not legally compliant" becuase we use Extreme Tracker which deploys a Cookie. The cookie stores no personal information so can this claim be true?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of high profile sites that use extreme tracking, what is the site that you are referring to? If it is http://www.extreme-dm.com/tracking/ then I dont think there is anything illegal about using that. Who said the site is not legally compliant?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I did a search on google and couldnt find anything which says that extreme tracking is doing anything which may be considered illegal.
I personally wouldnt use extreme tracking, as it is better use a web stats software like webalizer or awstats, something usually provided with your web hosting account. That way you dont give away the secrets of where your traffic is coming from to your competitors.

Dysonline

The site is currently being managed by a third party, we'll soon be re-designing and taking control oursleves so I'll take your advice onboard

Many Thank

Vaelor

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard online this year.

The company in question here seem to be implying that Extreme Tracker is illegal because it uses cookies. The resources it links to struggle to imply that use of cookies is tantamount to hacking and invasion of privacy. Quite frankly, these sound to me like the insane ramblings of a demented conspiracy theorist, and not much more.

Almost every single major website uses cookies in some form or another these days. Is eBay running a massive illegal operation because they use cookies? Is Google? Is Microsoft??

In your shoes, I would completely discount these demented accusations, and asked to be removed from their directory page. They say bad publicity is better than no publicity, but in business that's not always so. Better to do your own advertising elsewhere, than have people who may not know any better come across their directory and believe their paranoid lies about your site harboring illegal content.

That's my 2c worth, anyway.

StephanieCordray

If you paid for that advertising you are being cheated and have the right to demand a refund plus force that it be taken off. If you didn't pay for it, you can ask but that doesn't mean he has to remove it. I went to that site and followed the links he provided for "information". It's the worst sort of site there is... full of misinformation and using scare tactic wording to "prove" their case.

It's just another one of those sites you love to hate. They have the right to put up whatever they choose... until someone comes along who can really do something about them. What do you do about it in the meantime? Grit your teeth and educate as many people as you can.

Vaelor

Yeah, like I said - the ramblings of a crazed conspiracy theorist.

As for doing nothing though, I'm not so sure... depending on your connection to the company and how much the listing bothers you, I believe it's possible you may be able to threaten legal action for libel to force them to take it down - after all, they're blatantly lying and misinforming people about your website, falsely accusing you of hosting illegal material, which can be damaging to your business. Were it me in your shoes, I'd be throwing threatening emails at them by the day until they took it down - they're just begging for a lawsuit there posting those offensive lies about your business.

StephanieCordray

Vaelor said:
Yeah, like I said - the ramblings of a crazed conspiracy theorist.

As for doing nothing though, I'm not so sure... depending on your connection to the company and how much the listing bothers you, I believe it's possible you may be able to threaten legal action for libel to force them to take it down - after all, they're blatantly lying and misinforming people about your website, falsely accusing you of hosting illegal material, which can be damaging to your business. Were it me in your shoes, I'd be throwing threatening emails at them by the day until they took it down - they're just begging for a lawsuit there posting those offensive lies about your business.

I agree... out of some perverse sense of amusement I emailed the owner of the site claiming the illegal use of cookies... After one or two emails back and forth he resorted to telling me I had no sense and was irrational... granted I have my moments but I don't take it very seriously when someone tells me that because they are losing an argument.

Dysonline, don't worry about your site... it is legally compliant as far as I can tell... if you think it's worth the bother... take the fellow to court. He further uses your and one other site to further a link to a site called junkbusters which uses scare tactics and junk programming to convince people of the "conspiracy".