Im new and need some help

gt rabit

I have done a little bit of designing before but it was about 6 months ago and now I cant remember how to do any of it. I had problems with layers and such.

I am working on my page at www.domesticcustoms.com

I need some helpful pointers on how to make my background stay in the browser and or what the best way is to go about things.

I am using Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop 7 on Windows XP through the FireFox browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason, the newb.:D

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I add a background in Dreamweaver, it does not show in my browser i.e. Firefox, explorer.
how did you add the background? via css or standard html? or in dreamweaver terms, where did you enter the background image. their are a couple of different ways i can think of off hand to do this in dreamweaver.

simplest way for a standard html page is via: Modify > Page Properties

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
nevermind, just took the time to look at your source code. you are using css for styling the page and i do not see a background image referenced in your source anywhere.

try adding the following property to either the body tag or div which you want to apply the background image to.

Code:
background-image: image_name.extention;
also, do yourself a favor and put all your css into a seperate file. then link it into the page like this...

Code:
<link href="stylesheet_name.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
hope that helps.

tanicos

yea use external css or if you don't know how add this before the end of the head tag </head>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
background-image: url(images/back.jpg);
}
-->
</style>
replace back.jpg with your image name and the folder too if you want to.
remember that these has to be add to every page if you don't use external css.
hope it helps