illumination

reacos

Hi!
For a start I most admit that I so far know very little about web design.
I have started to use GIMP and I would like to create an "illumination effect" in a picture of a circle that consists in sex different triangular colour fields.
I want every single colour field to brighten up as I point at it with the mouse. (a kind of hover effect).
Is that possible, and if it is, how do I do that?
I want to use the picture with this effect non only on a web page, but also as a "tool" for presentation.
regards re

adx

I normally wouldn't say this, but since you're creating a circle with triangles, I'd recommend that you do it with flash. I'm not too familiar with it so you'll just have to find some flash software and Google a tutorial! :) I take it the circle of triangles is a color wheel of sorts?

LouTheDesigner

i agree. you should definitely use Flash. Create the six triangles as separate MCs. Make the first, and then make the other 5 by duplicating from the first one. That way, they will be uniform. Insert these triangles onto the main stage, and arrange them into a circle. Then, in the properties box, lower the alpha value to 70% for each MC. Then, in the actionscript panel, use MOUSE_OVER event listeners to increase the alpha values, and MOUSE_OUT listeners to return the alpha values back to normal. If you send me the hexadecimal values of the colors, I can send you a SWF. I don't think this would take more than 10 minutes.

-Louis

reacos

Hi!
Thank you for the answers and your tips, which is very valuable for me.

But, as I wrote in my first post, I am a beginner in this work and therefore I need to start with asking you: what is "MC"?

In reality I'm trying to make the effects I mentioned on a all ready existing image, that is similar to the one I described, but a bit more complex.

Is it possible to "isolate" every single existing colour field as a "separate MC"?

In the "GIMP tool section" you can for example choose "mark a specific colour" and then, as an example the red parts are marked. When I do this with my image in the GIMP program it mark the chosen colour field in a way that it "vibrate" or become more bright.

Can I use this function to "isolate" every single colour and turn it in to a "MC"? If not, how do you confine the single colours in order to make them a "separate MC"?

reacos

adamblan

Since you're using the GIMP, I assume you haven't bought Flash - so forget about the previous suggestions...
You could probably accomplish the effect you're going for using a simple css image swap: Try this technique ;)

btw: MC is MovieClip - one of the basic elements of a Flash movie

reacos

Thank you for the proposals and the indication of the website!
But my first, mane problem is this:
How do I do to "isolate" different coloured fields in an already existing image?
The next problem is: How do I do to put the "hover effect" to each field?
I would be very glad if anyone have time to give me quite detailed info about this.
Rea

adamblan

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do here... Do you have a link to something similar that you could post?

reacos

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do here... Do you have a link to something similar that you could post?

I found this picture on the net, http://www.tvhistory.tv/Baird-Slide-44-Color-Spectrum.JPG which is a bit similar to mine.

The question is thus; how do i do to make every single colour "brighten up" when pointing at it with the mouse?

(In the GIMP program there is a function in the "Mark section" called "mark fields of the same colour" that actually does almost exactly what I want to do with the picture; the part I click on with the mouse brightens up and start to "glimmering".
But that is thus a part of the program that serve to indicate the field you want to work on, and one can not apply it to the picture).
But since it is possible to have that function in the program it must be possible to use it also in other cases.
rea

adamblan

It's been a while since I've played w/ the gimp but after doing a bit of searching I found the Perlotine plugin that will allow you to slice your image for the web.
You will need to create 2 versions of the image static & hover - (do this after you've sliced the image) and save the slices into the appropriate folder (static or hover)
After your images have been created, it's time to mark up the page (follow the tutorial link above, but use <div>'s instead of tables.)
Once the static page has been written, you'll add the javascript functionality (check out jQuery) to switch the images onmouseover...
Really there is quite a bit to do for what seems to be a simple effect (at least to do it the HTML/js way - Flash would be exponentially easier, if you can part w/ $600 for the program). You should search for tutorials on these subjects:
Image slicing
css layout
Jquery event handling

Good luck!:)

reacos

Thanks a lot adamblan!
I will try to learn to use this function even thou it seems to be a bit difficult.

rea