Ideas or Links for FREE Advertising ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missj040

I have an Online Dating website soon to be going LIVE! hopefully by the end of this week ... but i wanna advertise the forum for a while ...

Any good ideas or links to places where i can get some free/cheap advertising ???

Winterchase

The site

StephanieCordray said:
well, there are a lot of those type sites on www.linkexchanged.com. I haven't gotten a lot of use from it for my personal sites but it's really not that bad if you wade through the exchange requests.

I looked at that site but they didn't have a category that even comes close to relating to what I do. Wouldn't that make a difference, or is it there just to increase the number of crawler credits? If someone is looking for a Nikon camera and my site comes up in his search, what good does that do me?

I have another question: a friend and I exchanged links. But, when I key in my name on Google, his site comes up before mine, although my name is bolded. That doesn't make sense.

StephanieCordray

Well, the site I linked above doesn't have a lot for my sites either but it will have quite a few for the member who began this thread because there are a lot of similar sites there.

As to the question of your friend's site coming up before yours in search, he most likely has more inbound links to his site than you have for yours. I'm not sure how much bolding counts these days. It never counted for a lot before and may count for even less now. However, it is one of the tricks to make sure you get indexed in search engines for keywords you use.

Winterchase

??????????

StephanieCordray said:
Well, the site I linked above doesn't have a lot for my sites either but it will have quite a few for the member who began this thread because there are a lot of similar sites there.

As to the question of your friend's site coming up before yours in search, he most likely has more inbound links to his site than you have for yours. I'm not sure how much bolding counts these days. It never counted for a lot before and may count for even less now. However, it is one of the tricks to make sure you get indexed in search engines for keywords you use.

Does it matter if the sites you're linked to relate to each other? And are you saying I should go in and bold all my key words, of which there are about sixty?

StephanieCordray

It depends on the type of site to be honest. You said yourself there wasn't much there for your site so you know what you'd like to link exchange with, correct? I mean you can indiscriminately linked to anything if all you are looking for is inbound links but at the same time you take away from your site when you do.

I don't think it really matters as far as search engines are concerned. They(search engines) say so but I haven't seen an appreciable difference in what/who gives sites inbound or outbound links as far as attaining page rank or search engine placement. I don't think the bigger ones police that sort of thing at all anymore regardless of their claims. They have bigger fish to catch in the form of revenues from advertising. I haven't seen a google dance in months if that's any indication.

Winterchase

Uh?

StephanieCordray said:
...I haven't seen a google dance in months if that's any indication.

I've seen a lot of weird things in my life, but never a google dance. In fact, I've never actually seen a google. :eek: Is it sort of like snipe hunting? Or submarine races? :confused:

gio

Have you try Hyperbidder.com or Link Exchange?

missj040 said:
I have an Online Dating website soon to be going LIVE! hopefully by the end of this week ... but i wanna advertise the forum for a while ...

Any good ideas or links to places where i can get some free/cheap advertising ???

Link Exchange helps you but you get to advertise on smaller web sites. Have you tried this newer Advertising Portal Hyperbidder? They have some pretty big Publishers that you can bid for CPMs, and they allow you to name your own rates. it is almost like Ebay, but you get in to the big guys web site with your ad as long as you get approved. It is pretty cool. I think it is still a great buy there since a larger crowd is not yet aware of it and rushes in, and jack up the bids. Well, maybe we should just keep this to ourselves but I thought this would help you. Oh another thing I like about hyperbidder.com is they allow you to select which sites you should advertise on and how frequently your ad should be displayed based on your bid amount. If you get approved, your ad is on large publishers of your choice.

Winterchase

Changed

StephanieCordray said:
well, there are a lot of those type sites on www.linkexchanged.com. I haven't gotten a lot of use from it for my personal sites but it's really not that bad if you wade through the exchange requests.

On these links, they don't have to be displayed on your opening page, do they? In other words, can't I bury them on the "click to view the links" page where it's highly unlikely anyone will ever see them?

Better still, why couldn't I link a page to the linked page, where they'd really never see 'em?

Linkexchanged.com got back to me and advised they'd added a "Writers" category, just for me. :rolleyes: Yeah, sure, just for my business would be more like it, but still....

StephanieCordray

Well, if you read the terms of service for linkedexchange and it hasn't changed since i signed on there, you have to have a clear path to the links. you can put them on a links page, yes but you must provide a direct link to them such as a link to the links page. You already have a links page so what you can do is make categories for links you'd like to add.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did add a writing category and not just for your business. They probably realized there was a significant number of writing sites they probably weren't getting because there was nowhere to put them.

Off topic: Have you submitted a story of strength for the anthology? That is, if it's not too amateurish for you, lol. There are still two days left and it's for a good cause.

Winterchase

StephanieCordray said:
Off topic: Have you submitted a story of strength for the anthology? That is, if it's not too amateurish for you, lol. There are still two days left and it's for a good cause.

Explain.

Two days? I never plan that far in advance. :)

Winterchase

Why not?

StephanieCordray said:

Explain.

Two days? I never plan that far in advance. :)

StephanieCordray

AW has a call out for all writers to submit stories of strength for an anthology the proceeds of which will go to the Red Cross. Given you have their link on your site I thought perhaps you'd be interested in that. It's in the Office Party section of the message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.