How to get ie6 onto your new computer...

adamblan

My laptop broke :( , but I replaced it with a sexy new 17" with all the latest gadgets:)

My problem was that Windows won't let you install multiple versions of explorer. No big loss really since I use Fx for browsing - but what about testing my designs to make sure they work in the worst browser ever?

... I found http://browsers.evolt.org/ - the site has standalone versions of many older browsers, and is perfect for anyone who wants to make sure their sites work in deprecated browsers.

Since I had this problem, I'm sure others out there probably have as well - just thought I'd share the solution!;)

abwebdesign

Just as a quick follow-up...if you have never heard of MultipleIEs, it is a great little program that allows you to run IE 3.0, 4.1, 5.5, and 6.0 all at the same time. Plus, it will not interfere with a current installation of IE7 or 8.

jnjc

That looks like it'll be very,very useful (at the moment I have an old Laptop running IE6 that I remote desktop into).

Thanks,
JC

adamblan

It's a good system- they're all standalone, so you can install any number of older browsers- IE, mozilla, etc.;)

Fred Benjamin

Internet Explorer 6 SP1, which includes the e-mail client Outlook Express, is the latest version of the Internet Explorer 6 core technologies in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional. Download it now to start experiencing the best of the Web.

ishie

It's simple. You can download Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack in the internet. Make sure to get the latest version.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
write a conditional statement redirecting ie6 users to a "get a new browser you bum" page

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second the multipleIE post. how funny is opening your prized page you've spent months on in ie3! hahahah!
...oh those were the days.

dianabarone0127

How to get ie6 onto your new computer

I love your idea to let other users with lower version for them to able view your website. But I think it wasn't necessary at all. they should try to upgrade their system so they can view your website.