How to do 40 identical sites?

Greg21

I need to build 40 identical web sites that all have different domain names. These are for insurance agents in different markets around the US. I will supply them with content management access where they can make text changes on specific pages to give their site to give it some personalization (I'll be the administrator in case they have problems). I have used FrontPage for a couple years. But, I think I need to go a different route to do the following task:

I want the ability to change something on a "main" or "template" site...and for that change would be distributed automatically to all 40 sites. For instance, to add a weekly insurance tip and monthly newsletter (and I'd hate to have to do this to 40 different sites).

Is this possible? If so, what technology/software/programming language would I need to learn to achieve this concept?

StephanieCordray

would it really be 40 different domains? or would it be 40 different sections to correspond to the agent's name such using a serch function "to find the agent nearest you" then go to that agent's section?

StephanieCordray

In that case, I don't think it can be done. not even on a network but I'm not a network expert. You will have to add it to each site.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
you could just simply use a bit of server side code, which then determines the name and anything else you want to have displayed on the page, depending on which domain was entered, thereby creating the illusion of multiple site. this way you would only need one site. it would be the simplest way in my opinion.

StephanieCordray

z i'm glad you showed up. I was thinking about this... i hate not knwoing something, lol... i was wondering if a rss feed would work. Set it up on the main site and put code on the other sites to grab it? I wouldn't know where to start myself but is it a possibility?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
it would be easier to just simply use an include for what you are trying to do, steph, but i don't see why it wouldn't be possible.