how to create a web page like this

stewie09

I want to create a site similar to the one at http://boston.going.com/today.php?p_tab=100, and I wanted know how I could accomplish this, especially the calendar section. Even though detail outline would be appreciated, you don't have to, you can just give me kind of general explanation. Thank you...your help will be much appreciated.

-Steve

stewie09

web design and coding skills

how much do you know about web design, what kind of coding?q

To be honest, I do not know a lot about web design and coding. However, I am teaching myself... and feel that if I get a some help or head start in the right direction, I can go a long way. I know a little about HTML, and I am looking to learn some PHP. May you can explain how they do the calendar portion. Did they use php, javascript, a web calendar software? Thanks you for responding.

jasonz

Im pretty new at it too, but that looks like a lot of a lot of stuff. Definately some javascript and php. Im pretty sure the calendar is JS. Something along those lines would be really hard for beginners. You would have to learn like 3 or 4 different "languages", html, css, js, php, probably some xml. But its really fun learning. Good luck

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
a quick look at the header of the page source reveals that the page uses ajax for the calendar. being that javascript (which ajax is just a fancy term for a javascript application IMPO *shrug*) is a client side scripting language, they are using php to interact with the backend. meaning to serve information from/to store or modify information on the database.

design wise it just looks like basic html with css.

bcackerman

Well, the calenders code can be taken from www.miniajax.com, you should be able to set it up with you knowledge, as for the rest of the site, ull need to know PHP and MySQL, and not just basics, quite of bit of both of those.

stewie09

I want to thank all of you for your assistance and for responding to my post. Bcackerman, I will check out the calender code. Thank you for the link.

I kind of wanted to get the site up soon, and since I do not know PHP, MYSQL, or JAVA, I suspect this project will take me awhile, so I will find and pay a web deigner to build a similar but less complex site.