How much should I charge?

Camilo

I have only designed one website, villagrovenews.com. I am decent overall with computers but am not experienced in code. Someone approached me to do a simple site for their real estate company. The website will probably only be about 3-5 pages. How much do you think someone with my experience level should charge?

AusQB

For a site with only a few pages, I would charge per page. Perhaps something in the order of US$35 per page.

larrysw

Also you should have the design outlined before beginning with a quote on the table. Any adjustments after the design has begun may incur additional charges. That's up to you but may be something you should think about.

webby1

Dont be cheap, people will not think that your are good, also I in my experience, the time spent is more than you think, fiddly stuff when they give the right info, change this, change that, not less than $500.00. Have you include hosting and managing..that also takes time to set up..etc etc 5 x page $35, $ 160.00, just not enough money when you think they will be maing from it .. cheers

zach

Right on Webby1.

I wouldn't attempt to lower your price to try to conform to a client. If you produce good quality work then it would be evidence enough to charge appropriately for the time spent creating a well built site.

I have noticed that when working with some clients they seem to think some of this stuff doesn't cost much... when there is a ton more work then making the site just look "pretty".

I would try to factor in all the different elements that you plan on doing with the site, and then show them how much work that is really going to need to be done to do it correctly. Like Webby1 said "not less than $500.00", also see if they require hosting, and if so that will be a monthly fee.

conor

Right on Webby1.

I wouldn't attempt to lower your price to try to conform to a client. If you produce good quality work then it would be evidence enough to charge appropriately for the time spent creating a well built site.

Well he has said in his original post that he has never used code before so there is a limit to what he should charge! I say 35 per page is good.

I allways give the client a quote, then stick to it. If they change their mind about something later on then they will have to pay extra.

besteast

I used to do eBay store design on eBay, we charge each part, such as:Store Header, Store Front, Left Navigation Bar, Template, Logo, Other Custom Made Pages and so on. Hope this would give you some idea