How much do you charge ...

calisto

Hi, I just got out from uni and want to start freelancing. Im web and graphic designer. Problem is that I dont know how to charge my clients and how much. How much guys you usually charge ? Do you charge per hour or per job?
Thanks

thrive

That's a pretty loaded question. Check with your local city hall. They will have a record of average earnings for every profession, broken down by experience. It's for worker's comp etc.

I charge anywhere from 25-100/hr based on what I'm doing and for who. I have 7yrs experience full time.

thrive

That's a pretty loaded question. Check with your local city hall. They will have a record of average earnings for every profession, broken down by experience. It's for worker's comp etc.

I charge anywhere from 25-100/hr based on what I'm doing and for who. I have 7yrs experience full time.

Markus10527

Hourly Rate Calculation

I don't know if this will help, but this is a calculation I got from a book I read:

- Take the total number of working hours in a year (40 hrs x 52 weeks)
2,080 hours/year

- Subtract the non-billable hours in a year which breaks down to the following:
* 7 legal holidays = 56 hours
* 2 weeks vacation = 80 hours
* 5 sick days = 40 hours

------------------------------
Total non-billable: 176 hours (22 days)

- This will give you a total of 1,904 billable hours in a year

- Take what you want to gross in a year (for example: $50,000/year) and divide that yearly salary by the total billable hours:

-------- = 26.260504

- Round up the total to a solid number, and that's what you charge per hour for your work

So, you would need to charge $27/hour and work 40 hours a week to give you an approximate yearly gross income of $50,000/year.

I put all the calculations into an Excel spreadsheet so that I can have it automatically calculate everything. That way, I can decrease/increase the number of hours a week, or increase/decrease the non-billable hours (add/subtract sick days, vacation days, etc.)

Hope this gives you a starting point for your freelancing. Other than that, you'd need to figure how much your time is worth and charge accordingly.

Spancerlim

You will charge on every project, the price depends on the requirements of the project like designing a web site, or just a banner or a logo.